Advice Request I'm a little disappointed in bitdefender :(

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
I don't know where you're going...I do not speak of system impact, simply I've quoted your post where there are technical inconsistencies to which I replied according to knowledge.
Nothing else to add from my part.

Yes and then you have the tyranny of the default problem :) which almost no one would have it enabled. Also if you have to schedule it most likely that smart scan feature i was talking about above wouldn't be available.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
If the malicious process is not running and loaded into active memory it is inert.

Any user can scan their system as they wish. However, the ones that complain that full-system scans impact the system resources have no one to blame but themselves. Then vendors solve this system resource impact problem by using a low-priority scan. Next those same users complain that a full-system scan takes way too long.

Those users that adhere to general scan and real-time protection recommendations as I mentioned earlier have no problems.

I think the impact can be generally eliminated in a lot of cases

Scenario: System is not in use so a background process kicks off that starts a quick/full scan. 5 minutes after starting i detect the user has started using their computer (screensaver is off, ect...). I can either stop the scan and restart the process from where i left off (say its 20% done) or i can put it on IO thread and base the priority of the thread on the length of time it has been since the last scan. If its been a week set the priority if its been 3 weeks then set it at medium. That way in most cases the user will never feel the impact. Sure you don't want to kick off a scan when the user is playing a game and the CPU usage is at 50%+ or IO is being pounded on for some reason.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
It was not my intention being rude guys but recently I was talking with one of my colleagues about computer science and the skills of those who have just taken their degree in my country. We both agreed that the kind of knowledge you get attending the university is indeed more theoretical than practical ( and trust me, “informatic engineering” courses in my country are way much more theoretical than CS in the United States ) but I don't think this is just something related to my country, for instance I often read on web sites, such as Stack Overflow, answers like “hey dude, why implementing it yourself? Just use a database!“ or “there’s the whole STL library that can do this for you, why you should implement a RB-tree by yourself?” and so on... I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

Of course studying the theory behind such things, data structures, algorithms and their complexities, etc is fundamental, but I've to admit having some gap around the practice
But do not tell me that during your CS courses/studies you’ve implemented everything, tried everything and came accross every problem you could find while developing, because this is bullshit....I'm sure.:)

Reactions: frogboy

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
It was not my intention being rude guys but recently I was talking with one of my colleagues about computer science and the skills of those who have just taken their degree in my country. We both agreed that the kind of knowledge you get attending the university is indeed more theoretical than practical ( and trust me, “informatic engineering” courses in my country are way much more theoretical than CS in the United States ) but I don't think this is just something related to my country, for instance I often read on web sites, such as Stack Overflow, answers like “hey dude, why implementing it yourself? Just use a database!“ or “there’s the whole STL library that can do this for you, why you should implement a RB-tree by yourself?” and so on... I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

Of course studying the theory behind such things, data structures, algorithms and their complexities, etc is fundamental, but I've to admit having some gap around the practice
But do not tell me that during your CS courses/studies you’ve implemented everything, tried everything and came accross every problem you could find while developing, because this is bullshit....I'm sure.:)

Haha you opened a can of worms for me because i love discussing things like this.

So my answer would be it depends :). They really need to have to prepare you for anything that is thrown at you once you are in the industry and prepare you to be little sponges once your immersed. Some people won't use what you call "theoretical" knowledge but a lot will. It just depends on how much you love your craft and how good of a programmer you want to be. A good example with be the virtual dom & react. Its relatively simple to make a react app but if you want to make an exceptional react app you must understand the inner working of the virtual dom or as your app grows your going to run into a lot of issues . I know programmers who probably don't understand "Big O" notation and they "get by" but are they good programmers NO. They are fine as long as you give them trivial programmer tasks but as soon as you give them anything complex they either wilt or they end up making a lot of mistakes that creates a lot of technical debt. A lot of these programmers have trouble understanding powerful programming paradigms like functional or reactive programmer.

They also don't understand when you should use a linked list compared to a hash table, queue, or a stack. They just know they need a list and don't know the scenarios so in a lot of cases when you have small number of items any will work but as soon as your list starts to grow choosing the correct type is very important.

So understanding these somewhat theoretical concepts is not only important for those that implement these concepts (frameworks) but is also important in using these frameworks correctly :).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.