I'm not sure if its configuration or infection

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
canamalar said:
Thanks for all your help it has been a real pleasure, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience,come payday I will be donating.

I noticed sandboxie slows down the web browser a fair bit, is there anything faster ?

My next excursion into the world of computer control systems will be to stop processes which I will not use, as I understand this will further speed up the response time.
Can you recommend a site or wiz kid who could help me do this safely.

You're welcome!

I guess you should not Sandboxie then if it slows down your PC. Most of these programs will slow down performance if your PC don't have enough RAM.

Here is a tool that can reduce the number of startups to improve speed:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/startuplite/

Also, you may consider de-fragmenting your PC if you haven't done so in a while. This is the one I use: http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html

Download CCleaner to clean some junk files to improve performance.

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
Sorry, One final problem.
Last year I uninstalled Thompson SpeedTouch330 broadband router when I moved from BT, my problem is that there was/ is a shortcut that I now can't get rid of, every time I try to delete it I am give the message "could not find the item" I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling the program but it makes no difference, any ideas

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
canamalar said:
Last year I uninstalled Thompson SpeedTouch330 broadband router when I moved from BT, my problem is that there was/ is a shortcut that I now can't get rid of, every time I try to delete it I am give the message "could not find the item" I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling the program but it makes no difference, any ideas

This may fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
I have tried that before, like most things I've tried it does not even see the shortcut.
Its a shortcut icon going nowhere, a bit like me actually :D

I was simply going to use the shortcut as a folder and make the best of a bad lot but I cannot rename the shortcut

I can put files in and retrieve them, however whenI put files in the shortcut clones itself on my desktop.

Fiery said:
canamalar said:

This may fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
I am currently being helped by someone on the Microsoft help forum who is having real problems with this, we have used command prompt and can not locate the shortcut, so I'm wondering if this level of interrogation can't identify it, can we be sure our efforts over the last couple of days has been successful ?
I was advised to use fileassasin and it could not see it either.
What we did discover was there appears to be a special blank in the address which stops it being found.

I opened my laptop in administration mode and its as if our efforts never happened, slow as a week in the jail :eek:)

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
I am a bit concerned the the fact that this shortcut self replicates, if infected could this be the source of my infection problems.
I have started opening my WLAN Internet connection(option globetrotter) in sandboxie then connecting to the internet and find I'm having more connection problems including the hanging and spurious texting, I am receiving replies from my service provider telling me they don't recognise the messages I'm sending them, I'm not sending messages.
I am now opened in my usual user and the system is back to the 100% CPU usage and overheating.
It's like we cleaned out all the files and apps used by the problem, then after a while the problem reinstalled itself, as I type the Internet connection wants me to close all tabs, I have not tried to end the session.
Also when I was in administrator mode it was telling me my security needed enabled, all. the security apps had been disabled, any ideas ?

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
The guy on the microsoft help forum told me to shift + right click on the speedtouch icon and copy path
then paste onto notepad, he suspected a space in the filepath and hoped it was not a special space
"C:\Users\sony\Desktop\SpeedTouch330 "
turns out it was a special space, he then told me to use malaware FileAssasin
I downloded it shutdown and reopened in safe mode administrator, ran fileassasin and tried to drag the icon in, fileassasin could not see the file\icon\shortcut.
anytime I do anything to it it selfreplicate a new shortcut to the desktop.
Here is the worst bit
remember I said I tried to make the best of it and use it as an ordinary folder
Well
I was using it to store the results of our efforts, including keeping the quarintined files, so none of them have been removed.

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
I opened windows explorer, WLAN connection and internet explorer in sandboxie and the laptop runs like a dream again, its all getting a bit too much again :)

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

I am a bit concerned the the fact that this shortcut self replicates, if infected could this be the source of my infection problems.

And infection won't be replicating a legitimate file, especially a shortcut on the Desktop. Malware are harder to detect than that.

Let's use systemlookup again.

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
:filefind
*SpeedTouch330*

:Regfind
SpeedTouch330
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
Hi
Hopefully panicing about nothing then

results attached

Fiery said:
Hi,

And infection won't be replicating a legitimate file, especially a shortcut on the Desktop. Malware are harder to detect than that.

Let's use systemlookup again.

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
:filefind
*SpeedTouch330*

:Regfind
SpeedTouch330
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Attachments

• SystemLook.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 60

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Before we continue, I just want to make sure that you have completely uninstalled Speedtouch and would want to delete the remaining files on your PC?

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Please download ERUNT from here to your USB and transfer it to your infected PC.
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the part that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder.
  • Start ERUNT by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (The default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT)
  • Make sure that boxes beside System Registry and Current User Registry are checked
    emvFs.png
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.

Next,

Open OTL. Under custom scan/fixes, copy and paste the following:

:commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:files
C:\SpeedTouch330
C:\Users\sony\Documents\My Documents\House\Stuff\swap\SpeedTouch330seriesR4.0.0.5.exe

:reg
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"SIGN=9B1322 SpeedTouch330seriesR4.0.0.5.exe"=-
[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2436128176-1973147644-1173718486-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"SIGN=9B1322 SpeedTouch330seriesR4.0.0.5.exe"=-

Then click Run Fix. Let your PC reboot to normal mode. A new log will be created automatically, post the content in the next reply.

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
Problem, fix never worked.
WLAN Internet connection now not working, can't get laptop online
Startup/shutdown is quick then runs at 100% CPU usage and hangs.
Getting the eggs out again.
Will try and get online again to post report

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
Rsboot seemed to do the trick, but still taking ages to settle after quick startup.
ERUNT did go through the motions of a restore point, but after the OTL fix it run the ERUNT said it did not do a restore point.
not allowed to attach OTL report. pasted below.

========== COMMANDS ==========
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point
========== FILES ==========
File\Folder C:\SpeedTouch330 not found.
File\Folder C:\Users\sony\Documents\My Documents\House\Stuff\swap\SpeedTouch330seriesR4.0.0.5.exe not found.
========== REGISTRY ==========
Registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\\SIGN=9B1322 SpeedTouch330seriesR4.0.0.5.exe not found.
Registry value HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2436128176-1973147644-1173718486-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\\SIGN=9B1322 SpeedTouch330seriesR4.0.0.5.exe not found.

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 04282013_191712

canamalar said:
Problem, fix never worked.
WLAN Internet connection now not working, can't get laptop online
Startup/shutdown is quick then runs at 100% CPU usage and hangs.
Getting the eggs out again.
Will try and get online again to post report

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
When I boot up I get the following small window

ERU for windows NT

Unable to create file:

c:\windows\ERDNT\AuroBackup\29-04-2013\ERDNT.INF

Registry backup will continue, but not restore information for the ERDNT program will be save.
This means that later restoration of the registry can be done manually, by using another OS gto copy back the files.

this was the same message I got after running the OTL fix.

canamalar

Thread author
Verified
Apr 22, 2013
Today I got program which installed itself, system care antivirus which is stopping me use my laptop, it runs a chech and identifies a load of infections it's telling me I have, then telling me my computer is unprotected which I'm inclined to believe, else how did it get there.

I am expecting a a dhl parcel, so when I got an email in my junk folder I thought that was it, I opened the link and a notepad opened, within minutes this thing had taken over, it seemed to be blocking me from opening the control panel, so I shut down and rebooted in safe mode and ran malware bytes which found nothing, I looked in program's and features to try to find and uninstall but could not see it, I am currently restoring but the restore point we made a few days ago seems to have disappeared, one made this morning I used it and it seems to have done the trick getting rid of today's problem.
I am currently running OTL scan and will post the results when finished.
Sorry for being a pest.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.