In just over a week, XP stragglers will be hit with ‘every form of malware possible’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
windows-xp.jpg

Unless you’re already paying Microsoft extra to keep your Windows XP machines safe from malware then you really should upgrade to either Windows 7 or Windows 8 within the next week. Tom’s Guide talks with a couple of security experts about the impending end of support for Windows XP and they conclude that, yes, staying with Windows XP after the April 8th cutoff date will be really, really bad for both you and your computer.

“Every standard desktop-security risk that a computer faces will be amplified, because there are no fixes being written by Microsoft,” Scott Kinka, the CTO at Evolve IP, tellsTom’s Guide. “This involves every form of malware possible. Just assume someone is on your PC while you’re working. Every password, trade secret and bit of personal information is at risk.”

More

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
there's nothinhg to worry actually, its a hype Microsoft is creating, to shift some of the XP users to Windows7/8 and make some money of course, a large number of XP users donot even update XP, they just use 3rd party antivirus/security software(including me), and most of the 3rd party security softwares already announced that they will support XP for at least 2 years, so , nothing to worry.... its just a hype, even after April 8, there will be lots of users using XP..

Another thing from this hype, some of the XP users already testing Linux, they don't want to spent money on operating system, and Linux is quite user friendly today for at least basic works like office works, movies, internet surfing. So why spent extra money?? And i can also update my linux OS anytime with new version for FREE....​

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'there's nothinhg to worry actually, its a hype Microsoft is creating' - sure tapoo!
- I gave up long ago to clutter my XP SP2 with heavy updates, which are useless (well, perhaps for a day or two ..)

Windows XP to remain in most organizations after the deadline : http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=16607
'Over three quarters (77 per cent) of UK organizations will have Windows XP running somewhere in their IT estate after the April 8th end of support deadline, according to AppSense. 68 per cent of organizations had no plans to pay for extended support despite repeated warnings about the vulnerability of the 12 year-old operating system to exploits and malware.'

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I Agree with most of the comments,however it was mandatory for me to update, by virtue of the fact that I play certain games and use certain applications that are no longer supported under XP;)
Thanks!:)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I Agree with most of the comments,however it was mandatory for me to update, by virtue of the fact that I play certain games and use certain applications that are no longer supported under XP;)
Thanks!:)
venustus, had you thought of switching over to Linux before as tapoo mentioned above? I'm not very familiar (actually not familiar at all!:p) with Linux (..except that it also comes in a "Mint" flavour!:rolleyes:) which is why I ask.:D

Prorootect, thanks for the re-assuring article <link>!
"From my experience and involvement with organizations to date, the priority is getting off Windows XP, but many are still planning or are unsure about how to progress."
Posted articles as these are very comforting, and it feels kind of like I'm attending a "Twelve Step" support group meeting as I try to get off of XP ..without fear or ignoring the fact I may have a problem!;):D

Last edited:

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
i have been using [TESTING] linux in virtual machine and on WinXP, and somtimes LIVE for 4 months now, still ok, good alternative for basic desktop use except gaming,video/audio editing....

Most of us use PC for internet/ watching movie/ songs, works related to office etc, and linux is perfect for those uses, and more all this for free. Linux can be use for gaming / editing, but i didn't tried that. For movie watching we can use VLC, Firefox/Chrome for Browsing, Libreoffice for Office works etc.... some known windows softwares is available here for linux.... even if its necessary to use Windows, you can use dual boot with linux, for can use VirtualBox for linux for running Windows in Linux....

If you have money you surely can buy Windows in every 3-4 years, obviously a good choice, but if you don't want to, try linux, and its not that tough as it was before. Now, no need to use command line in general uses, everything based on GUI. Its better/safe to use Linux than Cracked Windows7/8...

But, in some cases, it may not be so easy to find your daily software alternative, as i also facing difficulties to find any alternative as good as IDM.... but other download managers are good enough if you never used IDM. But if you are a IDM user, it surely be tough to use another download manager except IDM even on Windows :(

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Some information on Linux for those who will come from Windows XP and do not know what's up.
Linux has many distributions available. Ubuntu with it's derivatives (ex lubuntu for weak PC's) is the most user friendly. Most desktops systems are compatible and a lot of laptops too. Problems may occur with some discrete wifi adapters for example or seperate sound cards.
Regarding desktop PC's, most Intel graphics and ATI graphics work fine in Ubuntu. With Nvidia cards, animations are not that smooth, unfortunately.
Web browsing-ok
File management-ok
music/movies-ok
games-better use windows
image editing-ok for most needs (gimp)
video editing-there are options but are not that user friendly
audio editing- ""

Some apps like VLC, Google Chrome are same with their windows alternatives but most of them are different applications that do similar work.
The most important thing to do is TEST and SEE if it suits your needs, if it can work fine on your system etc.
If you know how to setup a windows installation, you will be ok setting up an ubuntu installation too with some help from Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.