Advice Request In need of guidance in choosing the right programs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hmm, this honestly puzzled me, even though roger_m mentioned that he did not experience any kind of convenience regarding the matter. Is there an option to not remove the registry keys but the rest?
The issue is not specific to registry keys. If you are using an uninstaller which creates snapshots before and after installing software, changes to both files and registry keys which do not belong to the program being installed can be monitored too. This is also a problem with uninstallers which just scan for leftovers are the normal uninstaller runs. On occasion, they will think that unrelated files and registry keys belong to the program that was just uninstalled.

In both cases, the best way to handle this, is to pay attention to what the uninstaller wants to delete and be sure to uncheck anything that is not related to the program your are removing.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
1. Should Wise Disk Cleaner not suppose to remove clutter off my PC, including installation leftovers? I thought 'junk files' are meant to be leftovers already, no?
No junk cleaner can remove installation leftovers. Uninstallers which scan for leftovers, know the where the software that was just removed was installed. As a result, they can make sure that everything from the installation folder was removed and they also look for other folders and registry keys which appear to belong to the program that was just uninstalled.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.