Advice Request In terms of privacy is the use of virtual servers better off than bare-metal physical servers?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I refer to VPNs using the abovementioned types of servers

Many would argue that the you are not getting the true geolocation of the VPN server when you are using virtual servers.............and that is TRUE! Many would also argue that using virtual servers are insecure. This depends.

The below link was done with 8 VPN providers and the results show the use (or not use) of virtual servers

Read through the comments

The below links discussed the security of virtual servers

In short, virtual servers are as bad as bare-metal physical servers when come to malware attacks. However, if both are equally hardened then the probability of being attacked would be very less.

Now, I use VPNs like many others. A VPN has many uses and these you can find them on the net. The main reasons being a VPN

changes your real IP address i.e. to hide your true geolocation
provides an encrypted tunnel from your PC to the VPN service provider

Of course the more difficult your fake VPN IP address (geolocation) can be detected the better it is. So a virtual server offering a more fake geolcation than a fake geolocation offered by a bare-metal physical server is a better privacy choice because the former is faking your geolocation twice.

Do you agree?

Last edited:

CyberPanther

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I think the matter of choosing a VPN software is mainly related to transparency, reliability, and jurisdiction of the VPN service provider.
It is important to read carefully the policy or terms of a VPN provider.
Thanks for sharing the statistics of VPN service providers

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
A friend said this to me before:
"There is no real disadvantage to having virtual servers instead of real servers. It’s just a matter of technological choices. Only available CPU power, OS configuration (to secure the server), and bandwidth are important, but it’s true that often, virtual machines are a bit slower due to the virtualization layer."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.