Troubleshoot Inexpensive High End Business Class Quality Used Laptop (eBay U.S.)

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
None
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
If your problem is that you are lacking hardware, take a look at these (U.S. and some international shipping I believe but I didn't check)

Original listing:

hp 8460p, Silver, 120 gig hard drive, Processor: 2.50GHz, 8 Gigs RAM | eBay

Contact the seller and tell him MerchantNinja (MalwareTips AtlBo) sent you to ask if he has more. He messaged me that he has several.

Paid $95 (including postage $77 + $18) knowing the risk, but I have bought 10 or more used PCs on ebay with good success. Can't guarantee anyone else, but you are protected if it doesn't work. The one I received is in outstanding condition (Windows 7) other than some mild scratching on the lid. It looks great though (as you can see in the listing pictures). I'll get a stick on lid cover for that. The screen picture is phenomenal.

Google HP 8460p. There are some great YouTube videos on the model which declare it one of the top two of its class for the time...very high end and durable. Plenty of processing power too...i5-2520m. Graphics seems fine too. One of the videos is 29 minutes and really helpful.

Wait maybe santa isn't done yet. For hard headed backup lackers, try this:

WD My Book 2TB Manufacturer Refurbished External Hard Drive by Western Digital | eBay

and if you really want to do this laptop right:

Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan (R9-NB 884102011504 | eBay

This listing just sold out, but ebay search for the item. You will find more at the same price. For U.S. buyers, $20 seems to be the going rate for a new one.

Don't tell anyone else. One last one I found:

WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Blue Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 WDBBKD0020BBL 695980932986 | eBay

shhhhhhh:emoji_ok_hand:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The last few laptops I've bought have been used HP ProBooks from eBay and some I've bought the US. I live in Australia. The seller you linked to doesn't ship to Australia, but many do.

The ProBook 6460b I'm using now, also has 2520M processor, which is more than powerful enough for what I need. I really like the quality of the ProBooks and that on the ones I own, you get access to the bottom of the laptop without undoing any screws. Also, you can remove the fan to clean dust from the vent, without having to remove the heatsink, which is a plus, as I clean dust from the laptop every few months.

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I really like the quality of the ProBooks and that on the ones I own, you get access to the bottom of the laptop without undoing any screws. Also, you can remove the fan to clean dust from the vent, without having to remove the heatsink, which is a plus, as I clean dust from the laptop every few months.

Yes, and thanks @roger_m ,that was one thing that got me interested in this one. Just pop the battery out and slide the latch for the back cover. Access to every single part in the system right there.

This one is 14.4 screen, so I have turned up the text size a notch. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Think these were going for a pretty penny out of the box, but not sure how much. One thing. The seller of this unit installed W7 using the key in the battery case. No idea if W10 was ever installed on the machine, but I believe it can be automatically updated to W10 if it was upgraded previously.

Kind of a heavy machine at 5 pounds, but everything is metal and it feels high quality. Cooling seems pretty good too.

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Great shares as those would suite perfect as small dedicated banking machines. Nice price! Thanks

Thanks, @upnorth. Maybe there are some good deals right now in Europe Australia, etc. too, but I don't see those listings. Sorry about that guys. Maybe someone will be able to latch onto something nice and at a nice price like I was able lol (thx santa :) for the gift cards!)...

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
No idea if W10 was ever installed on the machine, but I believe it can be automatically updated to W10 if it was upgraded previously.
Yes, you can do an upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, using the Media Creation Tool or an ISO and once upgraded, Windows 10 will be activated. Alternatively you can do a clean install of Windows 10 using your Windows 7 product key. In either case you will get a digital license for W10 than never expires. As a result, you can reinstall Windows 10 whenever you want and you won't need to enter a product key.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I fimd one of the best ways to get cheap deals from eBay is to do a search and sort it to show the most recent listings first. Keep that tab open and regularly refresh the page. You will come across some listings that are very cheap and as a result get sold quickly. If you regularly refresh the search results you can find some of these cheap deals before they are taken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
You will come across some listings that are very cheap and as a result get sold quickly. If you regularly refresh the search results you can find some of these cheap deals before they are taken.

Great idea thanks roger_m. I will try that sometime when I have some time...(y)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.