DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Voting a big NO, mainly because the people who I know are very tech savy.... :p Try sending those link to frogboy and pengiun, there is no way those guys will fall for it ;)

Jokes aside, I got backups and are usually on VM 90% of the time. Anyways doing what those ransomware told you to do is not a guarantee that they will unlock your PC even if you paid, let alone making you infect others... This is a new low in the world of malware and viruses.
LOL !
That is sure with us, you certainly would have to pay :) :
- even if one day I get caught, I always have recent backup (data & system)

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
LOL !
That is sure with us, you certainly would have to pay :) :
- even if one day I get caught, I always have recent backup (data & system)

What if i offer you this to open the ransonware links ?

Attachments

• tux_the_linux_penguin_doll_by_nissie.jpg
    tux_the_linux_penguin_doll_by_nissie.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 316

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
What if i offer you this to open the ransonware links ?
Hahaha ! Beatifull one ! For my Christmas ? ;)
Open the ransomware links would not be a problem, but make it infects my PC should be the big work : a lot of security tools to disable :D

I really wonder if the reason they give is right. First time I see a reason given with the infection.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Voted a big fat NO because that's not what friends do to their friends!!

Well said well said, I was trying to send this to @frogboy but he is not opening my links, :(:(:( even if i could get infected thru VM and 3 layers of protection, nothing will get thru frogs and pengiuns massive defensive super duper malware protection.

Attachments

• frogboycute.jpg
    frogboycute.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 252

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
In a world where friends don't pay your bills, I'm going to be realistic and say that if I were stupid enough to not have backups and necessary protection to begin with, I would absolutely let someone else take the fall over my career.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks, being realistic takes effort. Although, pretending to have morals takes effort as well. I appreciate the dishonesty of many in this thread.
The real pb is that you can't be sure when/if people are dishonest or not ;)
(I am sure none of my friends is reading what I post in this thread, because I don't have friends :p : I have already infected them all)

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
But that isn't the purpose of this social experiment. The purpose (as well as making a lot of money) is to find out, for those that get encrypted and are pushed to the edge, would they really put on that 'friends come first' facade, or do something selfish for once?

Well, the idea is lame in the first place! The world is full of people one does not like that i could send a innocent mail to before any of my friends or just to some random people in a mailinglist picked up anywhere on the net. But this is nothing but a theoretical thought since i still have my backups. If i didn´t have those backups....hmmm, i´d like not to answer since i can´t with 100% say i wouldn´t dig up some adresses but i still like to think i wouldn´t..
Double standards in it´s essence.....

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Voted NO it would be my fault for becoming infected. What kind of friend would I be if I saved my life instead of going with them together. Besides I do paperwork no traces online.

W

Wave

But that isn't the purpose of this social experiment. The purpose (as well as making a lot of money) is to find out, for those that get encrypted and are pushed to the edge, would they really put on that 'friends come first' bullshit facade, or do something selfish for once?
If they send it to their friend, regardless of if they are successful in infecting them or not, then they are not a true friend deep down. You will always have the back of a real friend, no matter what happens.

You can't put a price on friendship - the problem is the fake friends who will do anything to better themselves and only want to be around you when you're up, but they ditch off when you're down because they won't care.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Humor ON
Mathematically it is better to us to divide with 2 other friends the ransom they ask than making them infected and hoping they both paid, to be able to get the decrypter :D
But you need real nice friends :)
Humor OFF

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Honest Truth, if i was infected, I would seriously consider senting it to @DardiM and @Daniel Hidalgo , only because I know they could reverse engineer it, not because I am expecting them to pay.

Not so honest truth, I would send it to @frogboy and @RoboMan just because our friendship and buddyship could use a big laugh, especially when they laugh at me for my failed attempt and calling me all kinds of names cause I got infected.

There are more sides than 2 at times =), on second thought, I would still send Pengiun all kinds of malware, hoping one day He would slip on ice.....

Attachments

• the_pengiun.jpg
    the_pengiun.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 252
W

Wave

Honest Truth, if i was infected, I would seriously consider senting it to @DardiM and @Daniel Hidalgo , only because I know they could reverse engineer it, not because I am expecting them to pay.
The encryption can only be reversed to decrypt the files if the encryption method is weak. When ransomware is developed properly utilising RSA-2048 and has correct transmission of the private keys, then you can say good bye to your files without a payment.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.