Guide | How To Install Bash on Windows 10: Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
bash_logo.png

BETA

Important note
This is the first release of Bash on Windows and it is branded "beta" deliberately - it's not yet complete! You should expect many things to work and for some things to fail! We greatly appreciate you using Bash on Windows and helping us identify the issues we need to fix in order to deliver a great experience.

Prerequisites
Your PC must be running a 64-bit version of Windows 10 Anniversary Update build 14393 or later:
1. Turn on Developer-mode
2. Enables Windows subsystem for Linux (beta) and command-line
3. Reboot Windows

4. Run bash
5. Create a UNIX user

Official Installation Instructions | Link

Guide to Install/Use by HowToGeek | Link

What is bash on ubuntu for Windows?

Windows provides developers with a familiar Bash environment. This environment will allow users to:

1. Run common command-line utilities such as grep, sed, and awk
  2. Navigate the file system using these commands
  3. Run Bash shell scripts which rely on supported command-line utilities
Windows is running Ubuntu user-mode binaries provided by Canonical. This means the command-line utilities are the same as those that run within a native Ubuntu environment.

This is provided as beta software. While many of the coreutil commands provided by Ubuntu will work, there are some that will not. We welcome feedback and will prioritize accordingly.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Humm, this is very tempting.
I will wait a bit longer for a more stable version.
Is anyone here going to attempt this ?
If so please post some SS.
Thanks Spawn, subbing to this thread ;)

ozone

Level 3
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
don't know how stable it is in stable windows 10 build, but I've tried it in insiders build,
somehow I have managed to install firefox, performance wasn't great, but it was success,
basic commands work with some small errors, like when using "sudo apt-get update" you will get error that it couldn't find some repository

unfortunately it was unstable, when upgrading to new insiders build, sometimes it works sometimes I had to reinstall it, and because now I am busy I don't test it anymore, also I didn't try restoring from back up because I don't do back up for insiders builds

but it's great, you can try it, but be prepared to start from "zero" if something went wrong

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.