Troubleshoot Install Windows 8.1 in VHD in a dual-boot with Windows 7 and use RAMDisk question etc

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 was too slow to boot in a live partition install in a dual-boot with Windows 7 x64
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Nothing. Just reverted back to plain Windows 7 x64 dual boot arrangement in the meantime. The speed difference seems to not be worthwhile with using 8.1 especially with the programs I use.
Hi guys,

Is it feasible to create a VHD, install Windows 8.1 and then use RAMDisk to add more speed to the VHD usage? This idea just got into my head the other day as I planned to install Windows 8.1 in a partition on my hard drive. Dual boot arrangement with Windows 7 x64 (2 partitions). Got some issues with the install as I found out that Windows 8.1 does not boot as fast as my old Windows 7. When I compare the laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 the boot speed difference is glaring (though the laptop is not in a dual-boot arrangement). I understand that Windows 8 does not really shutdown but hibernates itself for more faster boot the next time yo boot it up..correct? Now I find that in a dual-boot it aint so. Windows 8.1 boot's very slow in this desktop(same desktop where I test the Bitdefender AV and IS 2014 trials).

Now to get back to my question, is it feasible? I mean to,

Create a VHD in Windows 7 > Install Windows 8.1 > and then use RAMDisk to speed things up.

What may be the benefits of using an 8.1 VHD dualboot arrangement with Windows 7 versus the live partition install/usage..?

I have GiliSoftRAMDisk lying around here and have no experience using it. Now earlier I was searching the web and checking out ways to install and use Windows 8.1 on this desktop but also seeking ways to make it worth the while by improving on what I have experienced when I installed 8.1 on a live partition.

I read that the use of RAMDisks helps in speeding up some power hungry programs like Photoshop etc..correct? How about speeding up an OS performance?

Anybody done this kind of thing? I Google-d some earlier and I see that some people are doing it with Windows 10 Tech Preview.

Now another question that I'd like to ask is,

Assuming I have had success installing 8.1 in a VHD arrangement for dual-boot with Windows 7, can I install programs like AutoCAD 2013 and some ram hogging programs like Adobe Photoshop CS3 or some video editing software like Cyberlink Power Director Ultra on it..?

Is that feasible also or well.....crazy? Well that is the reason why I'd like to use GilisoftRAMDisk with it "if" performance will be affected.

Well I have never used a VHD before. All fo my trials were done on live partitions from image backups and when I am done I just recover the prior image I did and move-on.

The purpose is also to make the (late) transition to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 and then if things will go okay move on early to Windows 10 (I will grab the free upgrade). I just do not want to jump to Windows 10 and later suffer the consequences of not being able to use my programs such as AutoCAD 2013 etc efficiently ---that will kill me and may downgrade back to Windows 7 and forget it.

Well I am good with Windows 7 with all the programs I am using now but I can't stay forever with it now that Windows 10 is out there.

So help me guys/gurus.

I may post a different thread on installing 8.1 on a different scenario, live partition dual-boot arrangement and not in VHD with GilisoftRAMDisk usage but this will come first.

Lastly, what about imaging that arrangement -- Create a VHD in Windows 7 > Install Windows 8.1 > and then use RAMDisk to speed things up. I use Acronis True Image 2012 with Plus Pack now and would like to ask if there are any issues that I should take into consideration.

Will imaging be fine? Will it image the whole disk including the VHD arrangement?

If I recover that image backup, will I be able to use the arrangement again?

How about the RAMDisk? Will I set it up again when I recover from an image backup? I read somewhere that when you reboot all the contents of the RAMDisk are erased (if not saved) si that correct..?

Sorry for the gazillion questions there but I am eager to know what can be done or what will I be experiencing as I plan and if feasible go on and try doing it.

So do please add some comments and share some insights here ;)

Thanks ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
Hmmm...

Anyway just to update here. I was not able to pursue this endeavor and went straight to installing Windows 8.1 Pro on a separate hard drive. I did not have any of the boot issues as that I have mentioned before when I installed with an existing Windows partition. I booted fine and acceptable a minute or less. Did observed some long boots but that was when after installing programs that required a reboot. So the desktop s now with Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 sp1. Still have not installed AutoCAD 2013 and Minitab 15 on it as I am awaiting the response of our IT as to the licensing etc so I have not used those programs yet in Windows 8.1 Pro.

Also discovered that there are issues with Acronis True Image 2012 in Windows 8.1 during the install. So did not install that and used the YUMI built usb whenever I wanna recover. Have not tried Macrium Reflect though. But in any case whenever I wanna recover or create a backup system image I'd just plug-in the YUMI created usb drive and fire-up Acronis WinPE or Macrium WinPE from there.

Now the use of GiliSoftRAMDisk I have abandoned as of the moment as I can't understand really how to use it. Have read some information and posts from blog that it may help but on more occasions it is unneeded.

So I guess the questions that I posted here for the VHD may be shelved now and I will post another thread about this if and ever I started it.
For the veteran users of Windows 8/8/1 I have more questions to ask but I will start another thread for maybe next week when I am able to install AutoCAD 2013 and a lot of the programs that I use for work.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.