Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello Guys!

First I'd say I have high hopes of making this thread full of feedbacks...

What do you prefer? Installed Programs or Portable Programs? Of course everyone know that not all programs could have their portable counterparts. What I am asking are the possible advantages and disadvantages of the two.

Take for example, Browser. Would you prefer Opera or Opera Portable?

Of course I'm not asking only for browser applications, but programs of any kind!

Well on my system nearly half of my programs that I run always are portable. I prefer portable counterparts of uTorrent, Skype, OperaMail, Maxthon, etc. because my Windows stay lean and clean (not totally though, some portable programs leaves temporary files on Windows which I do not like).

Please give in your thoughts.

Okay, let me add a poll.

Thanks.

Reactions: King Alpha and Icy

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Really for home user & daily purpose need Installed version is good but whereas for users who use to collect different tool Portable is better.

So i do install software which is use regularly whereas i use portable application which i use in months or even years.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Portable apps. I only install programs that don't offer a portable version.
I install browsers though, much better functionality installed imo.
Okay, I agree with you on the first statement.

Now please tell me why installed browser is better than portable?

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
No vote, as I use both and they each have their advantages and disadvantages.
Hello,

Maybe I have to edit the title, "VS."

I am comparing between "installment" and being "portable"... Please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Installed:
- Better for licensed software
- Permanent install, won't go missing
- Security software can be launched early before loading into Windows (better security)
- Easier upgrades (install-over)
- Included on a System Image backup (can be recovered with OS)

Portable:
- Easier to remove (just delete)
- No unnecessary registry entries
- Transferable (USB)
- If stored on different partition, will still be available after an OS re-format.
- Settings usually stored in an .INI instead of Registry.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
The programs that I'll use on a regular basis are installed for the reasons Huracan stated.

On my external HDD I have a portable utilities folder with 70+ handy little portable programs I carry everywhere.

Either installed & portable have their own positive reasons, what it really comes down to is your situation in question.

Example - When performing maintenance on my grandmothers PC for instance I'll use that portable utilities folder I have rather then install anything, a good way to save time!

Thanks.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

No vote, as I use both and they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I agree with this post.

Installed:
- Better for licensed software
- Permanent install, won't go missing
- Security software can be launched early before loading into Windows (better security)
- Easier upgrades (install-over)
- Included on a System Image backup (can be recovered with OS)

Portable:
- Easier to remove (just delete)
- No unnecessary registry entries
- Transferable (USB)
- If stored on different partition, will still be available after an OS re-format.
- Settings usually stored in an .INI instead of Registry.

I second these posts ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.