Installmac Removal

rkjmlj

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
I would like help in removing the malware installmac from my Mac OS 10.8.4. I have no idea how to run the mandatory scans. When I do a Google search the search page is installmac.

Thanks.

Mary Lou

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
Lets try to revert this unwanted change:
  1. In order to change settings for Safari, select Safari then Preferences
  2. Once you select the Preferences menu, the window below will open. The first tab to look at is the General tab.
  3. In the Default search engine field chose Google (or any other search engine that you might like to use), then look at the Homepage field and set your desired homepage.
    gYUduca.png

Let me know how everything is working....

rkjmlj

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
Jack, thanks for your response. I did that several times and it still goes to installmac. When I go back and look at Preferences it shows the home page as Yahoo but still opens in installmac.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Lets try this fix:
In the Finder, go to your User Account>Library: drag to the trash the following folders or files (in bold):
Safari folder (holds bookmarks, history, download history, site icons)
Caches>Safari folder
Caches>Metadata>Safari folder
Cookies>Cookies.plist file
Preferences>com.apple.safari.plist file (preferences)

Empty trash and restart Safari. Safari will now revert to its default values.

rkjmlj

Thread author
Aug 28, 2013
Hi Jack,

Thank you for you patience because I’m running out of it!! I can’t find Caches>Safari. I deleted the other files but haven’t emptied the trash yet. I also found a this list cookies.binarycookies - corrupt. Not sure if it has anything to do with the problem. I’m waiting to empty the trash to make sure I did it correctly.

Thank you!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.