Security News Intel releases firmware update for ME flaw

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
A flaw was discovered by researchers at Positive Technologies in the security of two of the four cryptographic keys ME uses to store sensitive data. If this story seems a bit familiar, it is: the same organisation found a previous 2017 weakness in the same Intel ME system, that affected all four keys, which itself capitalised on an even older discovery.

If this is starting to sound involved, what matters is the effect: the ability to compromise and generally mess around with files stored by ME, including the key used to secure the default admin password that protects remote access to ME itself.

Identified as CVE-2018-3655, and with updates now released, the issue affects firmware versions: 11.0 through 11.8.50; 11.10 through 11.11.50; 11.20 through 11.21.51; Intel Server Platform Services firmware version 4.0 (on Purley and Bakerville only); and Intel TXE version 3.0 through 3.1.50.

In its advisory, Intel recommends administrators contact their system or motherboard manufacturer to obtain an update that addresses this vulnerability.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.