Interesting Linux Distros war... 1st one!

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Ok heres something interesting.

To note: 2 of the Distros are using same architecture, while RoboLinux is based solely on Debian.

For a long time I put my opinions on reserve in regards to RoboLinux versions and what it comes with. For a power user like myself, I could easly and have easily incorporated basically what RoboLinux brings to the table.

When running Linux Mint and Ubuntu's family, I have also customized the distro from ground up.

In any case, lets have a look at Linux Mint 17.x versions vs Ubuntu's equivalents (XFCE, LXDE, KDE and well Unity if you want) vs the "self proclaimed lightning fast" RoboLinux flavours.

Now to kick off the war:

Overall winner is tied between Mint and Ubuntu family (both with less overload of stuff than RoboLinux).

RoboLinux might be a bit faster but lets face it, it is built on pure debian. However, it is "overloaded" with stuff not really needed in my opinon.

Also, any user who uses linux will know exactly how to use a Virtual Machine to run Windows OS or even WINE to run it natively on Linux.

But that is my opinion. Nevertheless, watch the videos on RoboLinux website which point to youtube to have a better understanding of whats under the hood since, well, there seems to be a lack of reviews for this distro, in comparison to the others.

PS: I would have tossed in Peppermint but well it is also based on Ubuntu and runs solely on LXDE, so thats for another time.

I

illumination

Edited: I did not see the "None of the above" choice at first, so now that i have, it is what i would chose :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kev216

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I've always used windows as my main OS, but over the time I've tested some linux variants in VM'S. From the ones I looked at, Ubuntu suits me the best (interface, application compatibility...). (but still not enough to leave replace my windows with :)).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ubuntu distros is like well established of WIndows XP/7 version, and I've witnessed the overall package how its become useful and yet a must too look on for any starter users.

Others are fine but they should expect something lack on few categories.

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
My favorit is the ubuntu familie....netrunner based on kubuntu....and mint 17.3 cinnamon based on ubuntu 14.04.3
netrunner 17 works fine with plasma 5.4.3.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Since we're doing Ubuntu/Debian based, I'd have to chose Mint Linux. Ubuntu and it's direct family of distros has a tendency to crash within 5 minutes of installation. I also hate Unity desktop. If forced with Ubuntu family I'd pick Xubuntu.

My personal favorites are based on Arch Linux though. Mostly Manjaro. However, I am currently I'm using Mint Linux with Cinnamon.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
A bit off topic but to those who voted Ubuntu/Mint, what are your thoughts on the RoboLinux?

In terms of ease to use, install and forget (sort of) yes Ubuntu and Mint, tho RoboLinux is not like pure Debian where you have to configure stuff, since everything works out of the box. Just overloaded in my opinion.

In terms of overload, Ubuntu and its family (official ubuntu flavours) are the least overloaded with stuff, followed by Mint and then well you guessed, RoboLinux.

T

TheSuperGeek

I'll don't choose ubuntu because Coranical make his business on this distro.
I think include Amazon in a linux distro is just a crime.
I don't use debian systems anymore. I use RPM or Arch or Gentoo.
But if I choose a distro in the list : Linuxmint because I love cinnamon and KDE. (but I voted "None of the above" )

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.