Interesting Linux War (Ubuntu Family based)

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
It's time for a "war"!

For this round, the user audience is from new users to Linux to intermediate users of Linux.

All distros are built upon the Ubuntu Family, offering several desktop environments (DE) to custom built ones.

This time no poll will be selected. Instead, in hopes to achieve not only discussion but helpful feedback for anyone reading this forum, we will do a slight different thing. Feel free to research on Distrowatch, reviews up on Distrowatch and even on personal testing and usage preference to list:

*Overall distro that works best out of the box for new user (list name of distro + DE)

*Ease of use in general for new user (list name of distro + DE)

*Lowest Resource usage distro (list name of distro + DE)

*Drivers support:

To note: some distros only offer specific DE, so some cannot simply be compared to others, but any feedback is welcome. Also, all of them have access to Ubuntu's repositories and can be maintained/upgraded accordingly.

For reference:
Ubuntu Family:
Ubuntu - Unity Desktop Environment(based off Gnome) (targeted at mid end to high end computers for optimal performance)
Kubuntu - KDE Desktop Environment (targeted at mid end to high end computers for optimal performance)
Xubuntu - Xfce Desktop Environment (targeted at low to mid end computers for optimal performance)
Lubuntu - LXDE Desktop Environment (targeted at low to mid end computers for optimal performance)

Contenders (latest stable releases only: LTS 14.04 - Long Terms Support) - All of the distros can be found on the right hand side listing of Distrowatch, with the exception of Linux Lite, in which you need to use the actual search function:

*Elementary OS (based on Ubuntu 14.04, Pantheon Desktop Environment (custom built from ground up)

*Netrunner (based on Kubuntu 14.04, KDE Desktop Environment)

*LXLE (based on Lubuntu 14.04, LXDE Desktop Environment)

*Bodhi Linux (based on Ubuntu 14.04, Moksha Desktop Environment (Enlightment 17 based Desktop Environment, targeted at low to mid end computers for optimal performance)

*Linux Lite (based on Ubuntu 14.04 (not Xubuntu), Xfce Desktop Environment)

*Black Lab Linux (based on Ubuntu 14.04, offers GNOME, KDE, MATE and Xfce Desktop Environments)

*Voyager Live (based on Xubuntu 14.04, Xfce Desktop Environment)

*Chromixium OS (based on Ubuntu 14.04, uses Openbox Window Manager, with Compton Desktop Compositor (for effects) and LXDE's LXPanel (users can choose to install Xfce Panel instead or even Tint2 panel) - Note: this attempts to receate Google Chrome OS to a certain extend.

*Peppermint OS (based on Lubuntu 14.04, LXDE Desktop Environment)

So to kick things off here is my list (note that I have extensively used all these in both Hardware and Virtual Machine wise, for daily tasks excluding gaming):

*Overall distro that works best out of the box for new user (list name of distro + DE):
Online user mainly: Peppermint OS
Normal user, a choice can be made between: Voyager Live, Netrunner, Black Lab Linux and LXLE.

*Ease of use in general for new user (list name of distro + DE)
For web user mainly: Peppermint OS
For a Chrome OS user: Chromixium OS
For a more traditional user, a choice can be made between: Netrunner, Black Lab Linux, Voyager Live LXLE and Linux Lite.

*Lowest Resource usage distro (list name of distro + DE):
Chromixium OS (Openbox combo), Peppermint OS (LXDE) and then LXLE (LXDE). Bodhi Linux fluctuated between Xfce distros and LXDE distros.

On Xfce based, BlackLab Linux (Xfce) followed by Linux Lite (Xfce) and finally Voyager Live (Xfce).

Gnome/KDE: Black Lab Linux, then Elementary OS and finally Netrunner.

*Drivers support: No problem with all of them.

Final comment: Peppermint/Chromixium I strongly recommend for a netbook user or the very casual user. The rest, depends on which flavour of Desktop Environment you want. I did not touch the customization topic since Gnome/KDE offer way more customization over Xfce, which in turn also offers more customization options than LXDE.
Openbox customization can be done but depends on what panel you use (Tint2/xfce panel/LXpanel) and if a user uses Tint2, then it defeats the purpose of new user friendly out of the box.

Would I run any of the distros on long term on my main 2 machines? No. Not because they are not optimal but because I prefer Pure Debian and Arch Based, as you can see in my config.

Last edited:

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
latest stable release of Netrunner is Netrunner 17 it based on Kubuntu 15.10.
the difference to Kubuntu 15.10 is, that Netrunner works fine and starts fast. Kubuntu 15.10 has many troubles is not usable for a produktive system.
Netrunner 17 released

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
latest stable release of Netrunner is Netrunner 17 it based on Kubuntu 15.10.
the difference to Kubuntu 15.10 is, that Netrunner works fine and starts fast. Kubuntu 15.10 has many troubles is not usable for a produktive system.
Netrunner 17 released
I didn't want to dig into non-LTS versions, thats why I remained in 14.04 versions.

15.10 Kubuntu by default has quite a list of issues as you stated, nothing to write home about, and being non LTS, support life is not recommended. Tho Netrunner 17 has some fixes, it is still not based on LTS versions, therefore was omitted completely.

Any new user should opt for LTS over non-LTS.

Reactions: noelis

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
you're right
but one reason for me to use netrunner 17 or kubuntu 15.10 is the fantastic amarok. in both releases the wikipedia works, in lts versions not.
amarok 2.8.9.....
a second reason is the newest programm versions....in the lts versions you need backports....:)

an other reason.....newest hardware often needs newest kernels...

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
you're right
but one reason for me to use netrunner 17 or kubuntu 15.10 is the fantastic amarok. in both releases the wikipedia works, in lts versions not.
amarok 2.8.9.....
a second reason is the newest programm versions....in the lts versions you need backports....:)

an other reason.....newest hardware often needs newest kernels...

New versions of software and kernels can be easily installed as you stated. As for kernels, all those mainly use Ubuntu Mainline kernels, so a user can easily download those. I believe I have a guide on how to download the kernels, if not, I will probably post it but @exterminator20 and @illumination can help on that too :)

Still, I am in the fence of sticking to LTS versions for its stability and relatively new software versions.

For those who want bleeding edge etc, then yes non-LTS ubuntu family versions or Arch or Fedora is where to go but that is not targeted at new users to even intermediate users.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
my opinion:
mac os flavor: elementary OS
Recently, I saw several distro try to recreate mac os UI or wants to be the most beautiful linux distro and the forerunner for this category is elementary os. But you should install libre office for productivity.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.