Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
We’re glad to announce a beta of a new security solution for your Android phone - avast! Free Mobile Security. Smiley
It took us quite a while to build this product, but we wanted to make sure it would be really smooth and loaded with features. Our plan is to position this free product against competing paid products.

We hope you will like it.

Highlights

Protect your personal data with automatic virus scans and infected-URL alerts.
Stop hackers by adding a firewall (rooted phones).
Control anti-theft features with remote SMS commands for: history wipe, phone lock, siren activation, GPS tracking, audio monitoring, and many other useful tools.
Your ‘invisible’ app hides itself, making it extremely hard for thieves to find and disable.
A standalone yet tightly integrated component of avast! Mobile Security, avast! Anti-Theft is the slyest component on the market. Formerly known as Theft Aware, the Anti-Theft portion of avast! Free Mobile Security has been recommended by leading industry experts that include T-Mobile, N-TV, AndroidPIT, and Android Police.

Features

avast! Mobile Security

Antivirus: Performs on-demand scans of all installed apps and memory card content, as well as on-access scans of apps when they are first launched. Options for scheduling scans, virus definition updates, uninstalling apps, deleting files, or reporting a false-positive to our virus lab.
Privacy Report: Scans and displays access rights and intents of installed apps, identifying potential privacy risks, so you know how much info you are really providing to each app.
SMS/Call Filtering: Filter calls and/or messages from your contact list using set parameters based on day(s) of the week, start time, and end time. Blocked calls redirect to voicemail, while blocked messages are stored via a filter log. It is also possible to block outgoing calls.
App Manager: Similar to Windows Task Manager, it shows a list of running apps and their size (MB), CPU load, used memory, and number of threads and services – with an option to stop or uninstall.
Web Shield: The avast! Web Shield for Android scans each URL that loads and warns you if the browser loads a malware-infected URL.
Firewall: Add a firewall to stop hackers. Disable an app’s internet access when on WiFi, 3G and roaming mobile networks. (Works on rooted phones only)

avast! Anti-Theft

App Disguiser: After downloading avast! Anti-Theft, the user can choose a custom name that disguises the app (e.g. call it “Pinocchio game”) so that it is even harder for thieves to find and remove.
Stealth Mode: Once anti-theft is enabled, the app icon is hidden in the app tray, leaving no audio or other trace on the target phone – the app is ‘invisible’, making it difficult for thieves to detect or remove.
Self-Protection: Extremely difficult for thieves to remove (especially on rooted phones), Anti-Theft protects itself from uninstall by disguising its components with various self-preservation techniques. On rooted phones it is able to survive hard-resets and can even disable the phone’s USB port.
Battery Save: Anti-Theft only launches itself and runs when it needs to perform tasks. This preserves battery life and makes it very difficult for thieves to shut it down.
SIM-Card-Change Notification: If stolen and a different (unauthorized) SIM card is inserted, the phone can lock, activate a siren, and send you notification (to a remote device) of the phone’s new number and geo-location.
Trusted SIM Cards List: Establish a ‘white list’ of approved SIM cards that can be used in the phone without triggering a theft alert. You can also easily clear the trusted SIM cards list, and leave just one in the phone as the only trusted one.
Remote Settings Change: A setup wizard guides the user through the installation process on rooted phones. No command-line knowledge is necessary to install Anti-Theft rooted. Also supports upgrading.
Remote Features - SMS commands provide you the following REMOTE options for your ‘lost’ (or stolen) phone: Siren, Lock, Display Messages, Locate, Memory Wipe, Call/SMS Forwarding, History, Restart, and more.

System Requirements
To run avast! Free Mobile Security your device must meet the following criteria.

Operating Systems Supported
Android 2.1.x
Android 2.2.x
Android 2.3.x

Minimum Hardware Requirements
Any phone capable of running a supported system

Other considerations
If you have any comments of feedback, please start a new topic and/or respond to an existing one rather than bloating this particular thread.

Download: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.avast.android.mobilesecurity

Link

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I'm using it now, I'm liking all the features, Removed a few apps since I didn't need them any more because they're all in this one app.

Having a look at memory usage and battery drainage, For me very minimal. Over night battery went 90 to 85.

RAM.png

The fact it has TheftAware incorporated is great.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
elliotcroft said:
But it's got a lot more in it than Dr. Web.

Yeah, that is probably true. Will try it out.

D

Deleted member 178

Something that annoyed me it is the need to root your phone, with all issue that may happen (brick, etc...). A security soft should not ask you to potentially damage your device for some features.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Something that annoyed me it is the need to root your phone, with all issue that may happen (brick, etc...). A security soft should not ask you to potentially damage your device for some features.

I have not done that to my phone because of that reason. I only have one phone and I need it alive not dead :p

D

Deleted member 178

Me too, that is truely irresponsible, i lost trust on Avast, as if they ask you to flash the bios of your motherboard to allow you to use a firewall... pitiful...

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
Me too, that is truely irresponsible, i lost trust on Avast, as if they ask you to flash the bios of your motherboard to allow you to use a firewall... pitiful...

My Over Reacting Detector 2000™ is buzzing loudly right now. It's not Avast's fault at all, Infact it lies in Google's Android system. If it wasn't for that road block, There wouldn't be a need for you to flash/root your Android nor "loose trust in avast". It took me 5 seconds to root my phone, Using the firewall now. It's a great feature.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
but it can take also 5 seconds to brick it...

Doesn't take 5 seconds to know if you're smart enough to successfully root your phone or not. If you don't know what you're doing, Don't root.

Those who bricked their phone because they didn't know what they were doing get what they deserve.

D

Deleted member 178

I informed myself and found out about Superoneclick , that it is supposed to do all by itself with one click. I dont know if it is reliable, with what did you root yours?

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
I used UniversalAndroot 1.6.2. Never heard of Superoneclick don't know how that performs.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
Doesn't take 5 seconds to know if you're smart enough to successfully root your phone or not. If you don't know what you're doing, Don't root.

Those who bricked their phone because they didn't know what they were doing get what they deserve.

He's right does not take 5 seconds because it confused be so I just gave up and just updated the software for my phone.

D

Deleted member 178

My phone OS is Gingerbread 2.3.4. I don't know if UAR support it. You have some advices?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That is what mine is as well, and I have a HTC Wildfire.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I used Z4Root which I downloaded from Softpedia to root my phone. (Avast! seems to think that it is malware, but it isn't).
Unfortunately, I can't use the anti theft without it actually being installed as root (Rather than just getting root permissions).
As for whether it will work or not, you need to check whether the exploit that the program uses is compatible with your phone. I had a Samsung Galaxy i5800 (Apollo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.