Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
For those who didn't notice ,we have added a very cool IRC chat...... our channel is #MalwareTips and you can join it by :

1.Clicking the '#MalwareTips IRC' in the header

lhDVN.png

2. Clicking the Ready to be social? Join #MalwareTips IRC Link in the forums list......

FMMI9.png

3 Or by simply typing http://malwaretips.com/chat/ in your browser...

Once you've join it , make sure you register your username,here is how : http://www.geekshed.net/tag/register/

Enjoy!';D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
This is a great feature. It's also light on the server because it's hosted by another company. :)

sahilwaste

Apr 24, 2012
i got this error:

[13:27:12] Running lightIRC 1.2.3 Build 101. Project home: www.lightirc.com
[13:27:24] Disconnected from server.
[13:27:32] Flash policy problem. If you are the server owner, please read http://redmine.lightirc.com/projects/lightirc/wiki/Flash_Policy_setup_instructions. You need to install a flash policy daemon at irc.lightirc.com (port 843).
[13:27:44] Disconnected from server.

anything serious..?:(

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
sahilwaste said:
i got this error:

[13:27:32] Flash policy problem. If you are the server owner, please read http://redmine.lightirc.com/projects/lightirc/wiki/Flash_Policy_setup_instructions. You need to install a flash policy daemon at irc.lightirc.com (port 843).

What browser are you using?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
sahilwaste said:
i got this error:

I get this is when I'm at TAFE. If you are trying to access the chat on, let's say a school or in my case a TAFE network and with all the network settings they have in place, that would be the reason why you won't be able to as well.

sahilwaste

Apr 24, 2012
i am tried to access it through chrome & firefox..@ Jack

i am trying to access it from home....@ McLovin

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
It's then something to do with the settings that you have at home because I'm currently in it at the moment and works fine. Have you tried using an IRC Client like mIRC?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I encountered this error when trying to connect to the chat-room using the link on our site and Firefox.
  • When you connect to the IRC server using the link on our site, you are actually using a Flash IRC client.
  • Firefox runs Flash in a separate process called plugin-container.exe, I had to edit my firewall rules to allow outbound connections from plugin-container.exe. This solved the issue in my case.
  • If anything fails, you can connect using any IRC client (examples: mIRC, XChat) with these settings:
    • server: irc.geekshed.net
    • port: 6667
    • room: #MalwareTips

Note: Many IRC clients can be identified by anti-malware applications as potentially unsafe, read this post for an explanation.

D

Deleted member 178

bogdan said:
I encountered this error when trying to connect to the chat-room using the link on our site and Firefox.
  • When you connect to the IRC server using the link on our site, you are actually using a Flash IRC client.
  • Firefox runs Flash in a separate process called plugin-container.exe, I had to edit my firewall rules to allow outbound connections from plugin-container.exe. This solved the issue in my case.

• Right. That solve my case, i was sure to allowed it before but it was not ^^

Edit: Plugin-container.exe must be set "as trusted" in comodo's firewall network security policy.

sahilwaste

Apr 24, 2012
bogdan said:
  • If anything fails, you can connect using any IRC client (examples: mIRC, XChat) with these settings:
    • server: irc.geekshed.net
    • port: 6667
    • room: #MalwareTips

is Xchat safe...avast sandboxed it...i tried again but avast pops-up its potentially unsafe....:huh:

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
In the old days (it might happen today as well, but I think that most malware is more sophisticated now) bot-nets were controlled via an an IRC chat room. Malware authors used to bundle an IRC client with their trojans. They made it so that the client was starting on your computer hidden from view and it was connecting to an IRC chat roomm they controlled. From there they could send commands to your client, controlling your PC. It is one of those cases where a legit program (like an IRC client) could be used for bad purposes. That's why avast (and other anti-malware applications) considers it as potentially unsafe. However, since you downloaded the program yourself from the publisher's website and you installed it yourself (it wasn't silently installed on your computer by malware) it is safe to use.

There are more alternatives to choose from if you wish: see a comparison of IRC Clients (on Wikipedia). Some instant messaging clients also support IRC, see a comparison of IM clients (on techsupportalert.com). Opera browser also has built-in IRC functionality.

P

Plexx

You can use Miranda as an alternative to an IRC client.

tried the link myself and works fine. username also registered :)

Great addition to the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.