Advice Request Iolo System Mechanic - a bad reputation, but why does every website recommend website?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Which sites are you visiting that recommends this program?

And are you using any Ad-blocking with your browser?
and for ad-block only youtube ad block

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Guys everywhere people say iolo sm is a piece of junk(are screw up your pc) why does every website(like pc mag) recommend it? Like they get money from iolo?
While it's not a product I recommend using, It is safe to use, as it shouldn't ever delete any valid registry keys or needed files. I've used it on a number of computers, and it didn't cause any problems. In addition, I've checked the scan results of its registry cleaner on a number of computers, and it had no issues with false positives. As mentioned, some of the sites that recommend it will make money as affiliates. It's also worth noting, that in some cases, it will make computers run better. So if a review states that it made their computers run faster, it probably did do just that.

Some system utilities and cleaning software can cause problems due to deleting needed registry keys, or in rare cases, needed files. Because of this, some people consider all such software to be harmful. But really this is not the case at all. When I use such software for the first time, I manually check what it wants to delete, to make sure that nothing needed will be deleted, rather than blindly letting it delete everything it wants to.

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
While it's not a product I recommend using, It is safe to use, as it shouldn't ever delete any valid registry keys or needed files. I've used it on a number of computers, and it didn't cause any problems. In addition, I've checked the scan results of its registry cleaner on a number of computers, and it had no issues with false positives. As mentioned, some of the sites that recommend it will make money as affiliates. It's also worth noting, that in some cases, it will make computers run better. So if a review states that it made their computers run faster, it probably did do just that.

Some system utilities and cleaning software can cause problems due to deleting needed registry keys, or in rare cases, needed files. Because of this, some people consider all such software to be harmful. But really this is not the case at all. When I use such software for the first time, I manually check what it wants to delete, to make sure that nothing needed will be deleted, rather than blindly letting it delete everything it wants to.
But on raddit .....
everyone saying it is a piece of junk and is dangerous

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
But on raddit .....
everyone saying it is a piece of junk and is dangerous
I have used it in the past and haven't had any issues. It probably is one of the best tune-up utilities, but according to me you shouldn't need to pay for a tune up suite.

Well optimized programs like System Mechanic isn't going to trash your system, it's an age old myth (from WinXP era). Programs like this may or may not make your computer run faster. People who say it's useless, may have heard it elsewhere or it hasn't helped them speed up their system. But that doesn't mean it won't help yours.

Just like people like to disagree on Antivirus review websites because an antivirus scored higher on review website than on the hub tests here, people need to understand that the sample and the methodology each one does to review will be widely different. So is the case with system optimizers. You just have to try it out to see if it works as advertised.

Its nice to keep regular backups of your system/create system images so you are always secure no matter what the scenario is.

Last edited:

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
I have used it in the past and haven't had any issues. It probably is one of the best tune-up utilities, but according to me you shouldn't need to pay for a tune up suite.

Well optimized programs like System Mechanic isn't going to trash your system, it's an age old myth (from WinXP era). Programs like this may or may not make your computer run faster. People who say it's useless, may have heard it elsewhere or it hasn't helped them speed up their system. But that doesn't mean it won't help yours.

Just like people like to disagree on Antivirus review websites because an antivirus scored higher on review website than on the hub tests here, people need to understand that the sample and the methodology each one does to review will be widely different. So is the case of system optimizers. You just have to try it out to see if it works as advertised.

Its nice to keep regular backups of your system/create system images so you are always secure no matter what the scenario is.
That explains clear to me thanks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.