Solved iPad 16 Screen Time Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I'm trying to set up screen time with no schedule and no app limits. Turned on screen time, selected child, selected age 12, selected set up later for app limits and schedule, and password protected it. The content restrictions are explicit and unrestricted after finishing the setup. It showed clean content and restrictions for age 12 when setting up. Is this a bug? I had to set the options manually to the ones for the child.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm trying to set up screen time with no schedule and no app limits. Turned on screen time, selected child, selected age 12, selected set up later for app limits and schedule, and password protected it. The content restrictions are explicit and unrestricted after finishing the setup. It showed clean content and restrictions for age 12 when setting up. Is this a bug? I had to set the options manually to the ones for the child.
Could be a bug.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Can you help me with a few things? Thank you. :)
1. What browsers run well on the iPad?
2. What browsers offer a built-in ad blocker?
3. Does AdGuard Pro block ads in apps? Does it offer a DNS feature that works for all Wi-Fi connections, i.e., no need to set the DNS for each connection? (I'll purchase a license if it includes these features.)
4. Does AdGuard Pro provide a parental control feature like in its Windows version?
5. Should I use Screen Time or buy parental control software? (I want to block explicit content and enable age-applied restrictions.)

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
It is my first time configuring an iPad. I read a lot about content and ad blockers for an iPad. It seems third-party products have limited functionality or are inefficient on an iPad because of the OS restrictions. I tested Screen Time, and it seems to do well against adult content, but it doesn't have category blocking. I checked out NextDNS and AdGuardDNS. NextDNS is good, but its category blocking didn't block many websites. AdGuardDNS didn't block ads or content, irrespective of the DNS setups I tried. I also checked out ControlD, choosing five custom filters and setting up according to their guide, but like AdGuardDNS, it blocked nothing. I tested DoH setups of these DNS services and tested on Windows 11 because I'm looking for a product for a Windows system too. NextDNS, I may try, but I wish its category blocking was stronger. Or I may check out the parental control products out there that have stronger categories and app blocking. Would parental control software and the AdGuard app be better on an iPad?

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I settled on Vivaldi and NextDNS for the iPad. NextDNS for security and parental control, along with ad blocking, and Vivaldi has an inbuilt ad blocker that would help with cosmetic filtering too.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Brave browser is also available for iPadOS, with their own set of adblocking and privacy measures. Other features can be disabled.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
NextDNS works well, but I'm using Safari, as other browsers have a 17+ age rating, and Screen Time hides them with the child profile of 12+. The ad blocking experience on Safari is good with NextDNS default, AdGuard DNS, Fanboy Annoyance, and Peter Lowe filters. I didn't add Easy List and Easy Privacy because the AdGuard DNS filter includes them. Comparatively, Vivaldi blocks ads better because of the inbuilt filters. Is there a setting on the iPad where I can allow Vivaldi with the child profile 12+?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is there a setting on the iPad where I can allow Vivaldi with the child profile 12+?
All Browsers have an Age Rating of 17+ (Unrestricted Web Access), and unless iPadOS allows exceptions for specific apps, then I don't see how it's possible.

Reactions: rashmi

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
All Browsers have an Age Rating of 17+ (Unrestricted Web Access), and unless iPadOS allows exceptions for specific apps, then I don't see how it's possible.
It seems there is no such exception. Anyway, I installed AdGuard Pro, and it supports Safari only.

rashmi

Level 5
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
Thank you, @Ink. I completed Screen Time setup to my liking with the help of Apple online help files. I installed AdGuard Pro for ad blocking, which works well, and added ControlD Family DNS to AdGuard for DNS. The staff can consider the question solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.