iPhone 12 will stop your implantable defibrillator

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
In a recent paper in the journal Heart Rhythm, doctors describe how they turned off the potentially life-saving cardiac defibrillator function of an implanted Medtronic device simply by holding an iPhone 12 near it. The authors had nothing personal against Medtronic, or for that matter, against the new iPhone. The main reason they singled the phone out here was because it is compatible with some of the most advanced new technologies available for various magnetic-based communications and charging.

This technology, known as MagSafe, is basically harmless. It typically integrates charger, magnetometer and NFC reader into a compact package that depends on fairly decent alignment for efficient operation. The problem, at least for Medtronic, is the magnets that facilitate the positioning and docking. The iPhone 12, for example, has a ring of them around its central charging coil. In a nutshell, permanent magnets are never going away, they are simply a perfect solution to many gadget problems. Applications including securing cochlear implant links, joining cables and fastening wristbands now make extensive of use of strong, miniature magnets.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

iPhone contains magnets as well as components and radios that emit electromagnetic fields. These magnets and electromagnetic fields may interfere with medical devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators.

Although all iPhone 12 models contain more magnets than prior iPhone models, they aren’t expected to pose a greater risk of magnetic interference to medical devices than prior iPhone models.

Consult your doctor and medical device manufacturer for information specific to your medical device and whether you need to maintain a safe distance of separation between your medical device and iPhone.

Printed in 2018
  • keep at least 5 inches away from your pacemaker/ICD
  • don't sleep with your phone on the bed
1610206250130.png

Source: (Downloaded PDF) - Pacemakers - Publications | BHF

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I recall seen that company ( Medtronic ) before in news.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I had a pacemaker fitted 6 weeks ago & had two check-ups since - The guy I saw twice had been in the field 30 years - Mine is fitted almost level with the top of my left shoulder - According to this cardiologist & I trust him totally, just don't keep an phone in a top shirt pocket on left side - I used to work with large transformers but as I don't now that would have been an issue - He did say after me quizzing him it's rotating magnetic fields that are more the issue than static magnets - The two things he said are an issue, Induction Cooker Hobs, & the anti theft devices near shop doors, don't hang about next to them, & don't go into space as re-entry causes issues - He said they have very few issues at all - Same info in booklet that I was given.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Interestingly it was my Fitbit watch that alerted me to a slow resting heartrate, the cardiologist had a look at the last years heart rate on my phone & we were able to see when the Sick Sinus roughly started, I can't think I would have though that was the problem without the Fitbit - I then I had ECG's - His only issue with smart watches was that every Tom, Dick & Harry will imagine they have heart issues he said, I suppose a little knowledge is dangerous? :):)

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Apple warns about having the iPhone 12 close to pacemakers

Apple announced its iPhone 12 devices a few months ago, coupled with the MagSafe technology previously found in MacBooks. Numerous publications and media outlets have warned of the potential dangers of increased electromagnetic interference from new iPhone models and MagSafe accessories being used in close vicinity of medical devices such as pacemakers and defibrillators. Apple has now published a public advisory on the topic.

As spotted by MacRumors over the weekend, Apple has published a dedicated advisory, which describes the issue in more detail. The firm has confirmed that its latest iPhone devices contain more magnets than previous models, but they are not "expected" to pose a greater threat. However, all MagSafe accessories and iPhone devices do emit electromagnetic fields that can potentially interfere with medical devices.

The iPhone 12, mini, Pro, Pro Max, and MagSafe accessories have been explicitly named in the advisory. Apple went on to say that:

Medical devices such as implanted pacemakers and defibrillators might contain sensors that respond to magnets and radios when in close contact. To avoid any potential interactions with these devices, keep your iPhone and MagSafe accessories a safe distance away from your device (more than 6 inches / 15 cm apart or more than 12 inches / 30 cm apart if wirelessly charging). But consult with your physician and your device manufacturer for specific guidelines.
Consult your physician and medical device manufacturer for information specific to your medical device and whether you need to maintain a safe distance of separation between your medical device and iPhone or any MagSafe accessories. Manufacturers often provide recommendations on the safe use of their devices around wireless or magnetic products to prevent possible interference. If you suspect iPhone or any MagSafe accessories are interfering with your medical device, stop using your iPhone or MagSafe accessories.
Given Apple's cautionary wording, it is recommended that if you use critical medical devices, you should consult a physician or the vendor of the medical device prior to purchasing an iPhone 12 and MagSafe accessories. It remains to be seen if this potential safety hazard will encourage the Cupertino giant to be warier in designing future iterations of iPhone devices and MagSafe accessories.

Source: Apple via MacRumors

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Henry Ford cardiologists find iPhone 12 magnet deactivates implantable cardiac devices:
“We believe our findings have profound implications on a large scale for the people who live daily with these devices, who without thinking, will place their phone in their shirt pocket or upper pocket or their coat – not knowing that it can cause their defibrillator or pacemaker to function in a way that could potentially be lethal.”

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
That's one of the things they explicitly tell you not to do is have a phone in your short or pocket adjacent to your device - They actually adjust it with an electro magnet round your neck near your device - Keeping a distance from large loudspeakers in mentioned too - The info above seems to have been worked out by UK cardiologists some time ago & frankly should be obvious as you are told this info several times & in a booklet, its not an issue with the iPhone more an issue with people who don't listen.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.