Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
2FA tokens disappeared
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
clueless
I updated to iphone 8 today, relatively smooth, or so I thought, but went to a site where I use 2FA and discovered that my authenticator app on the 8 is blank, so I'm effectively locked out of several sites where I have, need and want 2FA security. The restore from cloud seems not to include the 2FA tokens, perhaps that's a good thing, but the techie guy who upgraded my iphone seemed oblivious to this problem (as was I). Slightly good news is that I still have the old iphone, so any way to transfer the 2FA tokens off the old iphone onto the authenticator app on the 8?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
The best way is to force the sites that you currently have 2FA on to produce another QR code for you to scan. Most of the sites should have this, on sites that don't, just turn off 2FA and turn it back on again, that should force it to regenerate another QR code for you to scan.

For future reference you should use something that has cloud backups of the authentication, eg Lastpass authenticator or Authy. That way even if you lose your phone, as long as you have the password you will be able to restore your 2FA codes.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I updated to iphone 8 today, relatively smooth, or so I thought, but went to a site where I use 2FA and discovered that my authenticator app on the 8 is blank, so I'm effectively locked out of several sites where I have, need and want 2FA security. The restore from cloud seems not to include the 2FA tokens, perhaps that's a good thing, but the techie guy who upgraded my iphone seemed oblivious to this problem (as was I). Slightly good news is that I still have the old iphone, so any way to transfer the 2FA tokens off the old iphone onto the authenticator app on the 8?
You begin with yourself updating the iPhone, but you later mentioned a Tech person, what did they do?

How did you update your iPhone?

Which iOS version did you update, are you using the Stable (recommended) or Beta builds?

Did you create backup via iTunes on your computer?

You can only restore iPhone data on the same versions of iOS. So you might be able to update your older iPhone to iOS 11.4 and restore the data to the newer iPhone, also running iOS 11.4.​

Which Authenticator app did you have installed?

Not all 2FA apps offer a way to backup and sync these codes. The websites that offer multi-factor authentication should offer Emergency backup codes, that can be used when 2FA isn't available. These codes are generated upon request, and should be saved by yourself, in a secure place.​

I might be incorrect, but I believe some Authenticator apps deactivate on your previous device, once logged into a newer device - for security reasons.

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The best way is to force the sites that you currently have 2FA on to produce another QR code for you to scan. Most of the sites should have this, on sites that don't, just turn off 2FA and turn it back on again, that should force it to regenerate another QR code for you to scan.

For future reference you should use something that has cloud backups of the authentication, eg Lastpass authenticator or Authy. That way even if you lose your phone, as long as you have the password you will be able to restore your 2FA codes.

thanks, I did a little research last night and "discovering" similar suggestions. I guess one area of confusion for me, is my old phone was backing up to apple icloud, and I generally and vaguely understand that was encrypted backup, but my authenticator app is saying it cannot restore from icloud because it was not encrypted. And some related matter, I was running iOs 11.4 on my iphone, of course I did not try every I had installed but as apps are being restored I'm getting messages that about 1/3 of my apps are no longer in the app store or do not run on iOS 11 so I guess I'm weeding out unused and less than secure apps. Appreciate your reply, I'll be playing with QR codes etc today as that's the most critical issue for me re this iphone upgrade. my son got a iphoneX and he likes it but I decided to wait it out for a year or 2 until updated version of the X along with 5G.

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You begin with yourself updating the iPhone, but you later mentioned a Tech person, what did they do?

How did you update your iPhone?

Which iOS version did you update, are you using the Stable (recommended) or Beta builds?

Did you create backup via iTunes on your computer?

You can only restore iPhone data on the same versions of iOS. So you might be able to update your older iPhone to iOS 11.4 and restore the data to the newer iPhone, also running iOS 11.4.​

Which Authenticator app did you have installed?

Not all 2FA apps offer a way to backup and sync these codes. The websites that offer multi-factor authentication should offer Emergency backup codes, that can be used when 2FA isn't available. These codes are generated upon request, and should be saved by yourself, in a secure place.​

I might be incorrect, but I believe some Authenticator apps deactivate on your previous device, once logged into a newer device - for security reasons.

All good questions. updated to icloud, the phone tech did double check and 6s had been updated that morning, and I had previously updated the 6s to iOS 11.4 and when tech cranked up the iphone8 at the store, it immediately updated to 11.4. so that part should be in-sync. I used to also backup to a macbookpro, but it has aged and last year I autobackup to icloud. I'm probably not fully understanding distinctions between backing up to icloud or itunes (??) app is called Authenticator by Matt Rubin, someone I trust recommended it and it has been easy to use and flawless for me, until this snafu, which is primarily my fault for not getting more info. Often, I'll research deeply, get things to work, and after they're working fine, I forget about it, so I was just clueless to this possibility of lost 2FA tokens. But Hamin147 has some good ideas, and I think I can recover one way or another since I was smart enough to hold on to my 6s.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
iTunes (available for Windows and macOS) can provide a full, complete backup of your iOS device. You can optionally password-protect the backup as a security measure.

An iCloud backup gathers data stored on your iPhone is stored "in the cloud", under your iCloud account. iCloud storage is easily consumed by your Photos (if enabled), Drive (Pages, Numbers etc.) and some Chat app backups (ie. WhatsApp messages, photos and video).

Which password management solution do you use? (ie. 1Password, Bitwarden, LastPass, Apple's own Keychain).

Is this the Authenticator app?
Authenticator • Two-Factor Authentication Client for iOS

As far as I know, Authenticator apps (without backup/sync options) only store the 2FA account data on the local device, and therefore are not transferrable. So I believe you'll need to re-setup 2FA on your iPhone 8.

Just in case:
  • Get backup emergency codes for your online accounts - print them out, or store them securely. If you have them already, then be aware that requesting new backups code will invalidate the old ones.
You might not want to switch, but for the sake of convenience:
  • Look at Authy (account required) - available for mobile, desktop and browsers
  • LastPass Authenticator (Sync requires a LastPass account) - available for mobile, desktop and browsers
  • Correction: LastPass app is available for desktop, mobile and browsers. LastPass Authenticator is available for mobile only.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
iTunes (available for Windows and macOS) can provide a full, complete backup of your iOS device.
  • Look at Authy (account required) - available for mobile, desktop and browsers
  • Let us know how it goes.

THANKS. yes you found the Authenticator app I've been using. I have an older macbookpro that I used to backup to with a cable but I got lazy and somewhat uninformed as icloud became more prevalent. my bad :oops: and of course apple was always updating OSX to the point where it was perhaps slowing down my macbook. I can dust off the macbook and do an encrypted itunes backup as I have the older iphone with the tokens, and I may do that still tonight, or I may re-setup 2FA on the iphone 8 ?? :unsure: once upon a time I had itunes on windows and it just didn't feel right, long enough ago I don't really recall but I'm guessing I had some issues with that arrangement. meanwhile, I will look at Authy. :)

Edit: just looked at Authy and quick review is that it is looking like a better option for me. Thinking re-setup 2FA on iphone 8 with Authy. Just happy that I'm not locked out since I still have old iphone. Apple perhaps made it too seemingly easy and I got lazy. I'll try not to make that mistake again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Oh yes forgot to mention that the best part about authy is that they have a desktop app, so no more fumbling for your phone the next time it asks you for 2FA

Reactions: simmerskool
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
  • LastPass Authenticator (Sync requires a LastPass account) - available for mobile, desktop and browsers
Correction: LastPass app is available for desktop, mobile and browsers. LastPass Authenticator is available for mobile only.

Reactions: simmerskool
Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Oh yes forgot to mention that the best part about authy is that they have a desktop app, so no more fumbling for your phone the next time it asks you for 2FA

yes, I saw that about Authy desktop app, have not installed it yet. I have reset about half of my "critical" 2FA with Authy, taking my time...

Upvote 0

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Any progress?

Also check out these Security Tips for Authy - Understanding 2FA, the Authy App, and SMS - Authy

yes, thanks for asking! The dozen or so 2FA links I use have all been "converted" to my iphone8, did not lose anything. Using Authy now. I guess the "downside" of Authy from my previous app (Authenticator) was a potential security breach by Authy storing the encrypted tokens in the cloud. And some of the 2FA sites made it relatively easy to update the 2FA token. I will check out the link about Authy security tips. thanks! :)

Only other problem I'm aware of is not all the music that was on my old phone was moved to new iphone. I think I know why / how that happened, but have not had time the past 2 days to hopefully fix that. I have an idea... and if it works, great, and if not, not that big a deal for me.

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.