iPlayer will soon require a BBC account

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The majority of Brits will soon need a BBC account in order to watch iPlayer, listen to iPlayer Radio and use some of the broadcaster's other services. The BBC has said that registration will move from optional to mandatory within the next few weeks.
The BBC says it's introducing mandatory logins to [...] but there's also a secondary motivation: Making sure you're paying your TV licence.

BBC Blog: The next stage of a more personal BBC for everyone

TV Licence: Official TV Licensing website - Home

I don't understand why such thing exists, currently it's £147 a year. :(

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
BBC Blog: The next stage of a more personal BBC for everyone

TV Licence: Official TV Licensing website - Home

I don't understand why such thing exists, currently it's £147 a year. :(

I have just paid mine :mad: but i think if there was a way you could enter your license number before viewing then it would prevent people who don't have a license from using it. I have never been able to get iplayer when out of the country as i'm sure it tells you you must be in the UK to use it. I suppose there must be ways but not being very savvy, i don't know how, if you could put your license number in instead (or as well as) creating an account then theoretically i would be able to use it when in Europe, i visit Europe quite a lot for sometimes a month at a time and resent the license fee to an extent as i can't use BBC services when away from home so i feel i am being short changed.

I did incidentally notice that on my license this time, the wording has changed to include "watching programmes on iplayer and downloading" as i think a lot of people think this is a get out clause to paying the license fee if they only watch online. Right, i shall remove myself from soap box now :D

Reactions: ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The BBC TV license here in the UK needs scrapping, You only need to own a TV whether you use it or not you still have to pay the BBC for a license it's a joke and has been for years. So here in the UK e pay for SKY TV ir Cable, then we have to pay the BBC for a TV license. Pretty much everyone I know thinks the TV licence should be scrapped now.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
What a joke. The whole licensing aside, I really miss the days where you could connect an antenna and watch TV. :mad:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
The BBC TV license here in the UK needs scrapping, You only need to own a TV whether you use it or not you still have to pay the BBC for a license it's a joke and has been for years. So here in the UK e pay for SKY TV ir Cable, then we have to pay the BBC for a TV license. Pretty much everyone I know thinks the TV licence should be scrapped now.

I do agree with you on the license fee, many people need the license even though they don't use the services. I mean i wouldn't expect to have to pay Sky just on the off chance that i may watch it :eek:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I do agree with you on the license fee, many people need the license even though they don't use the services. I mean i wouldn't expect to have to pay Sky just on the off chance that i may watch it :eek:
Ha ha good point about SKY. It's true though isn't it, they go to people's house at times and ask to go in just to see if they've got a TV it's beyond a joke with the BBC now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.