IRISHMANS security setup

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I agree with the WoT recommendation. Furthermore, you may wish to use Sandboxie to sandbox your movie player...just in case they have something malicious in them.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The good thing is that movies are generally safe. Not because they can't be exploited (just like in case of mp3s with bad tags, for example) but they are usually large in size and malware authors currently consider that their worm won't spread fast enough if attached to a movie file. This has nothing to do with *avi.exe files that are executables.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
bogdan said:
The good thing is that movies are generally safe. Not because they can't be exploited (just like in case of mp3s with bad tags, for example) but they are usually large in size and malware authors currently consider that their worm won't spread fast enough if attached to a movie file. This has nothing to do with *avi.exe files that are executables.

Yes, I thought so. Torrents can just be a bit chancy, so it doesn't hurt to use Sandboxie. Plus, it is useful for other things too.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
For your browser you could add the addon for NoScript.

It's a little intrusive, but if used correctly it will protect you from almost all drive-by download attacks.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:

It's a little intrusive, but if used correctly it will protect you from almost all drive-by download attacks.
I think that NoScript's a little dodgy.
Adblock Plus had a thing against it due to it throwing up an ad infested page every time it updated which was about once a week.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Chiron said:

Adblock Plus had a thing against it due to it throwing up an ad infested page every time it updated which was about once a week.

How long has it been doing this?

I haven't been using Firefox for about 6 months, but I don't seem to remember having any problems with it before that. NoScript is very customizable.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Chiron said:
elliotcroft said:
Chiron said:

How long has it been doing this?

I haven't been using Firefox for about 6 months, but I don't seem to remember having any problems with it before that. NoScript is very customizable.
I don't know if they still do, though I know that they used to.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Good observation. If you use the pro version of Malwarebytes you should disable the active guard since it might conflict with KIS. See this thread on Kaspersky forum: link.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Noticed any slowdowns? Some KIS users complain about this.

Additional browser plugins:
WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
1.Enable "Block dangerous web sites "​
If the box is checked, Web Anti-Virus blocks access to the websites which have been considered as suspicious or phishing ones by Kaspersky URL Advisor. If Web Anti-Virus cannot return a clear verdict on safety of the website to which a link directs, you will be offered to load this website in Safe Run. When activated in Safe Run, malicious objects do not impose any threat to your computer.

Web Anti-Virus allows to download websites in the safe environment for Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

If the box is unchecked, Web Anti-Virus does not block access to known suspicious websites automatically.

Read : How to enable "Block dangerous web sites "

2.Enable detection of other malicious programs in Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 can detect hundreds thousands of malware programs that may reside on your computer. Some of these programs impose a greater threat for your computer, others are only dangerous when certain conditions are mett.Follow this tutorial and select all the threats to be detected.
Read : How to enable detection of other malicious programs in Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

3.Enable compatibility settings.
Go to > Advance Settings > Compatibility -> Enable the 2 boxes.
3965_1(eng).gif

4.Enable GeoFilter (optional)
Web Anti-Virus in Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 contain a new technology Geo Filter. Geo Filter is designed to block access to web sites on the grounds of their belonging to regional web domains avoid web sites from the most infected regional domains. This allows you to block access to websites which belong to regional domains with a high risk of infection.

The domain is recognized as blocked in the following cases:

• access to the domain is blocked according to the Web Anti-Virus settings configured by a user
    last access to the domain was blocked by a user
  • If Geo Filter detects an attempt to access to a web site from the blocked region, the corresponding message appears.
3816_1(en).gif

Read : How to configure Geo Filter in Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

5.Enable Online Banking (Optional)​
When working with online banking, the user needs special protection, since leakages of confidential information may lead to financial losses. Web Anti-Virus can control access to the resources that you use when working with online banking, downloading them in a safe browser, thus ensuring advanced protection. Web Anti-Virus automatically defines which web resources are online banking services. For guaranteed identification of a web resource as online banking service, you can specify its URL in the corresponding list.

Read : How to configure Online Banking in Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

6.On-demand scan settings​

• Full Scan -> Settings
    Scope -> All files. Enable Scan only new and changed files.
    Additional -> Heuristic Analysis -> Deep Scan. Rootkit Scan -> Enable Detailed/Deep Scan.
    In Scan Scope/Objects to scan -> Add -> Disk boot sectors.
  • Critical Areas Scan / Quick Scan ->Settings:
    Scope -> All files. Enable boxes: Scan all files, Scan all installation packages, Scan all embedded OLE objects.
    Additional -> Heuristic Analysis -> Deep Scan. Rootkit Scan -> Enable Detailed/Deep Scan.
    In Scan Scope/Objects to Scan: Add (if not) -> System Backup storage.
  • Objects Scan/Custom Scan -> Settings:
    Scope -> All files.
    Additional -> Heuristic Analysis -> Deep scan. Rootkit Scan -> Enable Detailed/Deep Scan.

7.To be continued since I'm in a quick weekend vacation right now:">

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.