Troubleshoot Is a server HDD suitable for a desktop?

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Hi guys, I've got a question regarding HDDs. I'm interested in buying a new HDD for my desktop computer, and I found this HGST HUA723020ALA641 for a good price. (info)

My research shows me that HGST make the most reliable HDDs today, however this is a server HDD, and I'm wondering if the reliability for 24/7 use would be just as good for desktop use, i.e. much more frequent powering on-off (at least once a day).

Do you guys have any experience with this, or have you got any information as to whether purchasing this model for desktop use is a good idea?

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Hi. I think it is but you have to consider the price. Probably it will very expensive.
Thanks for your reply. But like I said, this one is at a very good price, even cheaper than many desktop models of the same size.

Do you know of any desktops using server HDDs with no problem? Or maybe home servers with server HDDs that get shut down daily or at least somewhat frequently, sporting good reliability?

Upvote 0
O

Omnipotent

SSD's are faster and survive longer then HDD's because they don't have moving parts, they're both designed to last a long time either way. I always keep my PC on and my SSD still hasn't failed. Just back up whatever you have on it onto a USB or External HDD and onto a cloud backup service like Google/OneDrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jaspion
Upvote 0

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Thanks to both of you for your input.

I still would like to hear from people with experience in this specific scenario: a server HDD (designed for 24/7 work) working on a home/office desktop PC (with much more frequent shutdowns and restarts, i.e. much more frequent spin ups/downs). Should I expect a regular HDD to be more suited to this kind of situation? Or would a server HDD be equally fit for the job?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.