Is a Web Guard a necessary layer of protection in your setup?

Does your current security setup have a Web Guard?

• Yes

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 42.9%

• Total voters

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I'm fearless of infection because simply I have numerous ways of ridding of any infection I "might" encounter. But that doesn't mean I'm careless to what I do on a day to day basis.
The only files that get stored on the HDD are program files.

1. Backing up ALL my important data on 2 separate EXHDD's.
2. Numerous system images made both with Windows Backup / Paragon Backup & Recovery (Both stored to rewritable CD's and on EXHDD)
3. Windows Refresh And Windows Reset (New in Windows 8).
4. (Not exactly important but worth a mention, Very last resort - SARDU with numerous bootable AV & Utilities on it)

I don't use Java, All Flash is blocked unless I allow it to run certain objects, No executable or file in the matter gets stored or ran on my PC unless first scanned by VirusTotal and Anubis, I also left Phishing and malware detection in Chrome enabled but I'm not relying on it.

So to simply put it a web guard is useless to me as I'm not exactly focused on prevention, Reverting to a fresh snapshot or refreshing the PC takes no time at all to do and that way I can guarantee a clean PC without the need to waste time running countless ON-D scanners or relying on an AV to make my self "think" the PC is safe & clean.

I have Hitman Pro that I rarely use, but I like to have it laying around incase I would like to run a scan when I feel the need arises.
If it "supposedly" finds a serious threat (which is a very small chance and hasn't happened), I'll move straight onto the Windows Refresh or system image.

I've being using this method of mine since early 2011 and haven't come across any problems, Therefor I'll keep using it.
Good to see everyone share their strategies, I can see we all have different styles. I had to share mine.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
2. Numerous system images made both with Windows Backup / Paragon Backup & Recovery (Both stored to CD's and on EXHDD)
4. (Not exactly important but worth a mention, Very last resort - SARDU with numerous bootable AV & Utilities on it)

Your kits are a model of exactly what you need to protect your virtual environment 100%. Good stuff.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Thanks ZOU, I'm quite happy of it. Many of the strategies members have mentioned I have tried myself, But I would often experience a down side to it that would make me switch and try another strategy.

The strategy I've mentioned above is perfect for me and my work style. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's really an effective way, main advantage is that less running startups and having a quick boot.

For others view it may look a lack but since your a user its right of choice on picking what is good. :)

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Nothing lacking here, My strategy is light and very effective and the only setup I've found to be most favourable to me personally. I do not require anything else. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't a web guard as I don't use any AV currently, Chrome 18 Phishing and Malware protection is basic.

Not sure if I will use this, but I did receive another 1 Year License Key for Webroot SecureAnywhere, via email:
Thank you for beta testing Webroot® SecureAnywhere™. We value your feedback and invite you to continue testing our pre-release versions.

OT:
I only have a USB of my data, and the odd files stored in the cloud. No image backups.

Casual laptop user here.

gusthebus

Mar 2, 2011
If you think about it, an internet security suite like KIS 2012 or NIS 2012 (or even KIS 2013, which is amazing!) can do everything a web guard can. A webguard is just an additional layer of protection. So when considering whether or not to use a webguard the real question becomes: Do you need another layer of protection?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
MrXidus said:
I'm fearless of infection because simply I have numerous ways of ridding of any infection I "might" encounter. But that doesn't mean I'm careless to what I do on a day to day basis.
The only files that get stored on the HDD are program files.

2. Numerous system images made both with Windows Backup / Paragon Backup & Recovery (Both stored to rewritable CD's and on EXHDD)

I don't use Java, All Flash is blocked unless I allow it to run certain objects, No executable or file in the matter gets stored or ran on my PC unless first scanned by VirusTotal and Anubis, I also left Phishing and malware detection in Chrome enabled but I'm not relying on it.

So to simply put it a web guard is useless to me as I'm not exactly focused on prevention, Reverting to a fresh snapshot or refreshing the PC takes no time at all to do and that way I can guarantee a clean PC without the need to waste time running countless ON-D scanners or relying on an AV to make my self "think" the PC is safe & clean.

I have Hitman Pro that I rarely use, but I like to have it laying around incase I would like to run a scan when I feel the need arises.
If it "supposedly" finds a serious threat (which is a very small chance and hasn't happened), I'll move straight onto the Windows Refresh or system image.

I've being using this method of mine since early 2011 and haven't come across any problems, Therefor I'll keep using it.
Good to see everyone share their strategies, I can see we all have different styles. I had to share mine.

Great strategy....may I ask how you block flash? I use the "click to play" option in chrome, do you use no script or similar?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I too use Click-to-Play in Chrome. Good when you have your Ad-Blocker disabled, for whatever reason.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
MRF71 said:
Great strategy....may I ask how you block flash? I use the "click to play" option in chrome, do you use no script or similar?
I don't use Chrome but using NoScript on Firedox, my approach is simple but works. I have 10 sites on my whitelist and whenever I need Flash on any other site, I just allow it temporarily. When I close my sandboxed Firefox, changes made to NoScripts settings and whitelist vanish. I don't allow Flash on any site unless I absolutely need it.

Bo

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
MRF71 said:

I don't use Click to play as it blocks too many objects and plugins and negatively impacts my browsing, Instead I use an extension called FlashBlock.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I've used that before, it seemed a bit annoying at the time I used it maybe i'll try again

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Flashblock for Chrome is fine instead to prevent annoying flash, the CPU usage contributes to decreased it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Today's security software most of the webguard have improved a lot when comes for malicious URL so either free or paid its a worth for anyone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.