Is an antivirus really needed on Android?

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Until u don't download applications from unknown sites, don't download useless & crappy applications coz most of them are included with PUP/ Crappy Ads, don't put any infected files/games/videos from other mobile devices/PC via bluetooth sharing, don't use any public wifi connection & if u up to date your software & android version then i think it's not necessary to use a AV but u can use light AV like comodo , Avast, MBAM etc which are freeware to ensure your protection. Like My ESET AV find some PUP in my free softwares which i downloaded from Google Play Store ,so having AV sometimes are useful for Android.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I already use app ops to disable unwanted app permissions, but is a real-time antivirus protection needed?
The key thing to remember about malware on Android is that you have to actually install it. The majority of infections arise from the installation of ‘cracked’ applications from 3rd party market places which are often bundled with malicious software.

If you only install apps from Google Play, make it a habit to read the comments as well as the rating of the app that you are going to download and always read through the permissions to make sure they make sense and correspond to what the app actually does (an alarm app does not require a permission to access your text messages or send premium rate text messages), then you should be safe.

And as a final note, I do have Avast Free Antivirus installed on my Smartphone, as I really like the Anti-Theft feature.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree with Jack.There are some good free ones that offer other features besides just malware protection.They have call blocking,ant-theft protection and a few other features.If it gives you piece of mind and you like some of the other features then it wont hurt. Is it absolutely necessary I dont think so as long as you are careful.

Reactions: Icy

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks everyone!
But If I happened to need an antivirus for my handset, which one would you recommend?
I heard those are good in terms of protection and battery-impact:
360 security
Cm security
Avast
Drweb

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
> CM Security!
> With Clean Master!
> Cerberus
> LookOut
> IDrive Online
> Gas Guru
> Smart App Protector

xxtoss23

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
i use cm security on my
Tablet its have high detection rate cmcm.com/product/cm-behavior-cloud.html

Last edited:

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I used to worry about it when I first got an Android phone, but then I realized that common sense does a great job.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Personally i would say that a complete protection suit for a Android phone is not a far fetched idea.
Even with proper APP habits where you only get them from legit sources like Google store or Samsung store, fact is that Androids are being targeted by malware, and exploits.
There is a flourishing malware industry laying waist on Tablet and Phone users, specially now banks and governmental institutions offer options to access VERY private data just by using your phone, so besides the fact that you need to watch for rogue APPs one has more to fear from public Wifi and from their very own home network as malware creators and hackers start coding their malware to spread trough the home network to any connected device.
So yes i personally think that while its still manageable to skip the security app i advise my clients to get it anyway.
Better save then having a bad day.

Reactions: Nedim and juhful

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Better safe than sorry, I'm using Comodo on my phone and I like it!

zeusc4

Level 4
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
AV useless for android,
but if you going to install cracked apks & unnecessary apps then you need to install anti virus app.

also anti theft good addition for smart phones.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
AV useless for android,
but if you going to install cracked apks & unnecessary apps then you need to install anti virus app.

also anti theft good addition for smart phones.

I do not agree, in fact i strongly DIS-agree, specially with the new generation of malware this idea of yours can turn your nice and sunny day into a very very bad day.

Last edited:
Reactions: MalwareDetective

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
I have AVG Pro from an earlier Yandex promo(also have BD mobile license) but I tend to agree with Jack/exterminator20 on this. You'd have to be careful enough(proper common sense) and only download from legit sites like GooglePlay. The freeware one are good enough ;)

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
Hmm so i guess ill get a security solution on my phone, but which one do you recommend? I have a note 2

Icy

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
I decided to use malwarebytes. I'm not sure if the protection it offers is comparable to other av vendors but ill try testing it on blue stacks if it was possible.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.