Is an AV required to be safe with Windows 7 ?

Is an antivirus required to be safe with Windows 7?

• Yes

Votes: 45 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I heard that in win 10, WD sometimes would be turned on again automatically in the background...
I am not sure whether this is a bug or not.
I heard that one approach to solve this problem was to forbidden WD with Group Policy (GPO). I am not sure about this, either...

Reactions: JakeXPMan
L

LabZero

Thread author
I'm using Windows 7 SP1... so same thing?
On Windows 7/8.1 to disable WD:

Open up Windows Defender, go to Tools on the top menu, and then click on Options.
Now click on Administrator on the left-hand pane, uncheck the box for “Use this program”, and click the Save button.
You will then be told that the program is turned off.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
On Windows 7/8.1 to disable WD:

Open up Windows Defender, go to Tools on the top menu, and then click on Options.
Now click on Administrator on the left-hand pane, uncheck the box for “Use this program”, and click the Save button.
You will then be told that the program is turned off.

This will help when I install an Antivirus on my Windows 7 desktop.

I'm holding out for when I start to download more, browse sites and move files around etc. I'm still safe surfing to the same few sites and scan afterward with MBAM.

Reactions: LabZero

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Should one remove Windows Defender before installing an antivirus program?
For Windows 10, 8.1 and 8 - Windows Defender = Built-in Antivirus + Antispyware Protection. If you install a third-party Antivirus or Security Suite, it will automatically be disabled. Although in some cases it doesn't and requires manual procedures, as instructed in a previous post.
Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, only disabled.

For Windows 7 and Vista - Windows Defender = Built-in Antispyware Protection (previously GIANT Antispyware). If you install Microsoft Security Essentials, it will automatically be disabled. You can manually disable Windows Defender if you choose other third-party Antivirus software.
Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, only disabled.

Microsoft Security Essentials can be installed on Windows XP, Vista and 7, and is an Antivirus + Antispyware software for Windows. It cannot be installed on Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

Microsoft Security Essentials is equivalent to 'Windows Defender on Windows 8.1' and 10. Windows 8 does not have the Network Inspection Service, as seen in later versions of Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows 7 was released in 2009.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.