Is Antivirus Software a Waste of Money?

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Jeremiah Grossman is the kind of guy you’d expect to be super paranoid when it comes to computer security. He was on the front lines at Yahoo more than a decade ago when a hacker named MafiaBoy was abusing the site with DDoS attacks. Now Chief Technology Officer at security consultancy White Hat Security, Grossman spends his time fighting web intruders for his company’s clients.

When it comes to computer security, he’s paranoid — and for good reason. He’s seen what the bad guys can do. But when he met with Wired at the RSA Conference in San Francisco this week, he said something surprising: He doesn’t use antivirus software.

Wired.com

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I think if you're relying only on AV to keep your system safe, then yes it's a waste of money.

The face of malware is changing so rapidly that the AV product of old just isn't able to keep up. This is where sandboxing, HIPS, and behavior blockers, come into play.

AV is a nice complement to the aforementioned technologies, but I definitely don't think it's a good idea to place all of your eggs in a single basket. In my opinion, the layered security approach is the way to go.

D

Deleted member 178

Anyway, paying for an AV/suite when you have many very effective free solutions is totally illogical.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
There are a couple real time antivirus that I would pay for if I wanted to use an antivirus but I think its wiser to spend money buying something like Sandboxie or DefenseWall. If the user feels better using an antivirus along one of the programs that I mentioned, the user can use any of the free solutions that he feels comfortable using. Nothing will get through. Paying for a real time an antivirus is not needed but it should not be looked as wasted money neither, in my opinion.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
This article doesn't apply to home users, this article applies to companies.

Companies are still targeted by malicious viruses, trojans, worms, etc. that can cause extensive damages.
Unlike home users who appear to only get infected by rogueware now days that doesn't cause much damage.
Yes they need protection, however most of the free solutions are only for home users, so they will have to buy a solution.

In my area, most of the companies, business, government and military use either McAfee or FortiClient. Both provide excellent protection for companies and are much cheaper than other solutions. Companies should shop around to get the best deals that are cheaper and still provide excellent protection. Prices can be much different according to your area.

It's very much true if you properly train your employees it can cut down on infection, but people are people and make mistakes, therefore in a company environment a good antivirus is a must have if you want to protect your investment. Just one infection can shut down all computers in a business, cause lose profits, bad customer relations, lost data, etc.

Advanced protection like HIPS and sandboxing just doesn't work in a company, just one mistake could cost millions of dollars.

Just think of what the damage would be to your area, if your power plant computers got infected and went offline. It could be much worse if your power plant was fulled by nuclear reactors. :p

Thanks. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Littlebits said:
In my area, most of the companies, business, government and military use either McAfee or FortiClient. Both provide excellent protection for companies and are much cheaper than other solutions. Companies should shop around to get the best deals that are cheaper and still provide excellent protection. Prices can be much different according to your area.

What I have seen that schools and the TAFE us is Symantec Endpoint Edition. Provides the basics of what a business needs to protect but there are better alternatives like McAfee and or FortiClient. Another one that business use is Microsoft TMG, which is what every business needs to help with security.

So I do, not think that for companies and business Antivirus Software is not a waste of money. For home users it's totally different ball game.

iPanik

Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
Advanced protection like HIPS and sandboxing just doesn't work in a company, just one mistake could cost millions of dollars.

A HIPS based system is very much possible is an enterprise environment.

A company i worked for a few years ago, switched to a HIPS based system. The rules were locked down, and the user could only install from a list of pre-approved software. This list was very extensive, so the user wasn't too limited.
They didn't have to invest in training of the employees, and as far as i know it is still a great success.

The point of the article is more that if a company deserves the attention of hackers, they will test their malware against the company's AV, and the av will be useless. Therefore it can be a better investment to lock down the systems and/or look at logs than putting all your eggs in one basked with the AV based solutions.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Our company is required to have AV, no way around it. The only AV I have seen on federal systems are Symantec, Mcafee, and Sophos and all are versions you won't find on the website. At home people can do as they please, in a corporate environment your only able to do what I allow you to do. In the corporate environment (at least ours) we run monthly classes in information security for the end users and keep a very up to date intranet. The more rights you take away from people the less apt they are to break something, opposed to my families pc's that not matter what AV I put on their systems they are always catching something bad.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
iPanik said:
Littlebits said:

A HIPS based system is very much possible is an enterprise environment.

A company i worked for a few years ago, switched to a HIPS based system. The rules were locked down, and the user could only install from a list of pre-approved software. This list was very extensive, so the user wasn't too limited.
They didn't have to invest in training of the employees, and as far as i know it is still a great success.

The point of the article is more that if a company deserves the attention of hackers, they will test their malware against the company's AV, and the av will be useless. Therefore it can be a better investment to lock down the systems and/or look at logs than putting all your eggs in one basked with the AV based solutions.

In my area all businesses that I know about like governments, schools, military and most companies, etc. Each employee runs on a limited user account, only managers or the people in charge have full access rights. Which is just as effective as using HIPS and costs much less than having to buy an HIPS system. The companies only have to train few workers on how to secure the systems instead of the complete workforce which saves costs.

Yes I agree that in a company environment a paid AV is a must, but when it comes to home users many can get by just fine with a free AV.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well using AV Software can be a waste of money but it depend if the user will satisfy on needs. Good to see that some AV were free so anything were nothing waste.

blues

Level 1
Apr 30, 2011
The very few pennies a day I spend for the protection offered via EAM is money well spent imho.

Especially when you consider the consequences of just one unfortunate incident involving either your computer system or your finances.

Of course, YMMV, but I'm happy to pay a little bit for the peace of mind and also knowing that I am doing a little bit to help the research and development continue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.