Advice Request Is Avast 2019 Annoying?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Avast Users: Are you likely to upgrade from Avast Free?

• Yes, if the deal is good

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No I would not buy a license

Votes: 29 90.6%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: Avast Free Antivirus review: Capable but annoying

"The catch with Avast has always been the relentless upsell. Happily, the annoying adverts that used to pop up every time the software updated itself are now gone. Indeed, the whole interface is much more straightforward than it used to be about what's actually included in the free suite, with premium features shown with a little orange padlock next to their icons. The fact that this applies to fully 50% of the icons in the interface feels a little pointed, though.

We were also irritated to find that when you launch a scan, the software now doesn't just hunt for malware, but also reports back on dubious "performance issues" -- and invites you to shell out £20 a year for Avast's commercial clean-up software in order to remedy them. You can disable this behaviour from the settings page, but making it default in the first place is pretty obnoxious."

For those using the latest version of Avast Free Antivirus, what are your thoughts on their upsell tactics?

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I've seen the old thread before, but what are your thoughts on Avast's methods to make people upgrade?
For me not need. The free version have many features. If one person need sanbox have free solutions. The same for the firewall. My vote is not. I have pro antivirus because I had a key. I had and for Avast premier but i like more light versions. The pro version have extra one sandbox and one secure dns extra. It is not worth to pay for these only

Last edited:

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
The biggest problem with Avast free is that they totally forgot what they are in business for, an antivirus app!
Not a "I have just about every utility installed for u in one single app" nonsense. I say hello to Avira here also by the way...
Look at the size of the installer, 335MB give or take. Panda for example is like 63MB.

No, gentlemen of Avast, please release a antivirus only app without all the nonsense!

/W

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The biggest problem with Avast free is that they totally forgot what they are in business for, an antivirus app!
Not a "I have just about every utility installed for u in one single app" nonsense. I say hello to Avira here also by the way...
Look at the size of the installer, 335MB give or take. Panda for example is like 63MB.

No, gentlemen of Avast, please release a antivirus only app without all the nonsense!

/W
And Bitdefender free have not any feature and options and the offline installer is 335 MB. And 360 Total Security offline installer is 79MB with many many extra. And ??

Reactions: Nestor

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
And Bitdefender free have not any feature and options and the offline installer is 335 MB. And 360 Total Security offline installer is 79MB with many many extra. And ??
And, I did not consider either of those AV:s as they do not fall in my basket of "first lite and the second trusted software"
Avast can do it, I did use their Free Business AV when that was available before, that one weight in around 120-130MB if memory serves me right.

/W

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.