Advice Request Is Betternet VPN good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Not really in my opinion. Slow speeds, very small server network too. There is way better options out there like Windscribe or ProtonVPN for free options.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Reviews are mixed. But it seems there are some genuine concerns.
Do I Recommend Betternet?
No.

Unfortunately, Betternet doesn’t live up to its name. I love that it’s free. And if you absolutely need a free VPN, you could do worse than Betternet.

But the amazingly slow connection speed combined with the alarming results from the academic study showing that Betternet could be a security threat is just too much.

You get what you pay for, and free VPNs just don’t cut it.

Is Betternet a trustworthy and safe VPN service?

Extensive testing and research for this Betternet VPN review suggests the answer to that question is NO.

As you will see below, I uncovered the following issues with Betternet VPN: embedded malware, tracking libraries, IP address leaks, DNS leaks, poor speeds, and poor reliability. Perhaps most concerning is the fact that Betternet has been caught embedding malware and tracking libraries into their VPN apps, while promising to protect the privacy and security of its users (we’ll cover this in detail below).

Betternet is yet another example illustrating the dangers of using a free VPN service.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Good or bad shouldn't even factor into it. It's been proven actively dangerous to your data, both on your local system and any passing through its service.
Can you elaborate the issue?

Not really in my opinion. Slow speeds, very small server network too. There is way better options out there like Windscribe or ProtonVPN for free options.

Windscribe give 2gb per month for free users.So i pick this one.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Can you elaborate the issue?
Their apps have previously been found to contain malware and their Chrome extension was compromised and used to steal user credentials and display malicious ads. They also allowed third-parties to access user data so they could better tailor their advertising.
I emphasise previously because they may no longer have a malware or third-party access problem, but I'm not willing to install their application to find out.

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I just saw the 50 and it tells me that it's expired and I've done another 30 GB and that works but I think it's for one year.:giggle:

look for it here:

Last edited:

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I just saw the 50 and it tells me that it's expired and I've done another 30 GB and that works but I think it's for one year.:giggle:

look for it here:
Maybe try this last one. This one might be for 50 Gb if you want to try. https://shareware on sale .com/s/windscribe-vpn-giveaway-coupon-sale

Make sure you remove spaces, because MT blocks the link.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Try Lantern - Faster than a VPN
I'd never head of them before, but it seems they have a very questionable privacy policy and collect a lot of data. For example:
More so, Lantern openly admits to profiling. They collect information about you from other sources and combine it with the information they collect through their service. For instance, your account with a payment processor, and your Facebook or other social network accounts. Likewise, if you ever visit a website or use a service that relies on Lantern’s API, or if Lantern is using their API, the provider also adds that data to your profile.

Lantern reserves the right to throttle your usage, personalize and provide recommended content, social connections, and ads. They store your data in the US and may send it to other countries, share it with third parties, general public, and your employer.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Y
I'd never head of them before, but it seems they have a very questionable privacy policy and collect a lot of data. For example:

Yeah, they seem to collect a lot of data compared to other VPNs like Windscribe which is what I use.

Reactions: bribon77

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Yes, their privacy policy is not good. But they are offering a free and fast service. There's no user selection of their servers at the moment even for their paid PRO version. The free version comes with 500MB /month after which you still can surf but at a throttled speed.

As for profiling I think you can use BlackFog Privacy to block it

One thing is that it seems Lantern can be used in China. I have not tried it in China yet. At the moment quite a number of VPNs are blocked in China like SurfShark, free TunnelBear, VyprVPN etc....on the smartphone side

Last edited:
Reactions: bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.