Troubleshoot Is CanvasDefender Necessary?

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
In my opinion, it's like walking on Times Square with a mask on. Yes, nobody will be able to identify you, then again you are the only one wearing a mask so you stand out of the crowd. It only makes you even "more" unique than you already are when your intention should be to blend in so that they can't tell who you are.

I tried it for a few weeks and gave up. It breaks some of my favorite websites.

Reactions: Tsiehshi
Upvote 0

CooperateCarefully

Thread author
Nov 29, 2017
Hmm....I read an article I think yesterday that said that a lot of people are using it now. I remember it saying that the key is that your unique signature keeps changing randomly because you really can't blend in. For example, if you have a certain graphics card that only 5% of the market has...and then with your extensions...everyone is really unique.

But I was just wondering if the extension was needed at all because uMatrix has an option to spoofer that changes periodically. So is canvas defender necessary?

Or is HTTPS Everywhere also necessary because uMatrix also has an option to only allow HTTPS.

So many programs overlap in functions and I'm not sure if the execution of the function is comparable.

Upvote 0

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
In my opinion, it's like walking on Times Square with a mask on. Yes, nobody will be able to identify you, then again you are the only one wearing a mask so you stand out of the crowd. It only makes you even "more" unique than you already are when your intention should be to blend in so that they can't tell who you are.

I tried it for a few weeks and gave up. It breaks some of my favorite websites.
Pretty much this. Making your canvas signature unique, which is the point of Canvas Defender (just look at that), does more harm than good. From the browserleaks comments section:
The point is: Canvas Defender will get you a new and unique fingerprint signature. (100% (0 of 176794 user agents have the same signature) This is not good because your signature needs to be like 95-98% unique.

PS. My Opera pretends to be Chrome in the browserleaks test, but creates a unique signature according to Panopticlick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I wouldn't bother trying to manipulate your browser's fingerprint if I were you. Chances are you'll come out looking more unique the more you try and do so. Better off sticking to tried and tested methods for improving your privacy.

To answer your question: No, Canvas Defender isn't necessary. HTTPS Everywhere can still be used.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.