Advice Request Is cloudOS as secure as running VM?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

empleat

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 23, 2020
Hmmmm Bitdefender says when I tried to open zeropc.com:
Your connection to this web page is not safe due to an expired security certificate.
Web pages must renew their certificates to stay current, and outdated security certificates represent a risk for your data.

Is it legit?

Meanwhile I also tried one and it had only google login and google blocked connection, because it tried to gain sensitive info from account LOL!

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

No it doesn't.
Sandboxie is just a small program that isolates tested software from critical resources. It's not a VM and is the best option.

Regarding ZeroPC, it is legit. Whatever you choose, you will only be browsing shady websites. You won't be installing it or using it daily.

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Sandboxie is just a small program that isolates tested software from critical resources. It's not a VM and is the best option.
Absolutely agreed. Just install a fresh browser without any information stored and run it within Sandboxie. Whenever you clean the sandbox, every information stored in the browser will be deleted.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 89360

empleat

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 23, 2020
I had sandboxie and it caused input lag - I think. Even when it is off. I try to avoid installing unnecessary programs. Drivers usually can cause lag, even they are not used, which is strange. Or services, which could be turned off. I am not an expert, but some of these programs can easily lag your PC. I Am optimizing my system on minimum latency! I will try ZeroPC i guess.

Thanks for help!

EDIT: Wait it is not on PC!! Oh okay it is, at the bottom...

Wait a minute, PC link got me here: NComputing | Compute Smartly

I don't even know what that is :D

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I had sandboxie and it caused input lag - I think. Even when it is off. I try to avoid installing unnecessary programs. Drivers usually can cause lag, even they are not used, which is strange. Or services, which could be turned off. I am not an expert, but some of these programs can easily lag your PC. I Am optimizing my system on minimum latency! I will try ZeroPC i guess.

Thanks for help!
Good luck with that, can you please try to explain again, what you mean by input lag? I can't believe that Sandboxie makes the same problems like a VM...

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 89360

empleat

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 23, 2020
Makes your mouse cursor lag. These programs usually need some drivers/services, which can cause latency. Or they install something like Net Framework, which can cause input lag. Even when program is off. I tested myself on input lag and I can tell even 6 ms difference. I am extremely sensitive to it.\

There is no way to launch zeroPC, seems like corporate program to me. Searching again :D

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Makes your mouse cursor lag. These programs usually need some drivers/services, which can cause latency. Or they install something like Net Framework, which can cause input lag. Even when program is off. I tested myself on input lag and I can tell even 6 ms difference. I am extremely sensitive to it.\

There is no way to launch zeroPC, seems like corporate program to me. Searching again :D
Okay got it, hope ZeroPC works out for you. :)

empleat

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 23, 2020
Seems shady! From main site, there is no way to launch it. I found login site from google. Expired security certificate and only google login again...

I might try sandboxie again, I have install monitor. So I should be able to delete all traces, if needed. Because I can't find any secure CloudOS it seems.

Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Seems shady! From main site, there is no way to launch it. I found login site from google. Expired security certificate and only google login again...

I might try sandboxie again, I have install monitor. So I should be able to delete all traces, if needed. Because I can't find any secure CloudOS it seems.

Thanks for suggestions.
They are secure, but they are not reliable. Sandboxie is your best option.

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Last option would be ShadowDefender if you heard of that before. It also requires virtualization tho, but I think that there is no way that it's causing input lag. It basically restores all the system changes to the state, where you enabled Shadow Defender. So if malware damages your system, Shadow Defender restores your system after every reboot. This option just doesn't protect you from spyware like Keylogging software etc. as malware still has access to your data, until you restore the system again.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Because one system can see another. You can't disable NVME in bios, at least in my bios...

I don't want spend money for another computer.

So anyone knows if CloudOSes are secure as VMs?
Dual booting and using one of the OS for risky purposes are not at all recommended. It's not intended for that purpose. If you think that you can getaway with turning off nvme, then God save you. You should use either VMware workstation player or similar VMs like linode or docker containers for such purpose. Even that is not 100%... nothing is 100%...so no one can say that " cloudos" are 100% secure...or as secure as VM... everything is a code which can contain bugs...so the risk is inherent. Take your backup, two local and one cloud, be prepared for the worst so that the worst can't surprise you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

empleat

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 23, 2020
I said: I can't even disable NVME in my BIOS :mad:

So you say, even disabling disk in BIOS (I do this on other PC) won't isolate it from another system? Lets say: like on a flash disk, which you use only when all other disks are off in BIOS? Should I yank SATA cables then, before booting other OS?!

BTW I need to get DVD mechanic with firmware updates from its manufacturer, can't find anything in my country so far LOL...

Yeah I know CloudOS, or even VM isn't 100% bullet proof. I was looking about something reasonably secure as VM. I am currently wanting to try out sandboxie. It has continuing open-source development on github with signed certificate from MS: sandboxie/sandboxie

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I said: I can't even disable NVME in my BIOS :mad:

So you say, even disabling disk in BIOS (I do this on other PC) won't isolate it from another system? Lets say: like on a flash disk, which you use only when all other disks are off in BIOS? Should I yank SATA cables then, before booting other OS?!

BTW I need to get DVD mechanic with firmware updates from its manufacturer, can't find anything in my country so far LOL...

Yeah I know CloudOS, or even VM isn't 100% bullet proof. I was looking about something reasonably secure as VM. I am currently wanting to try out sandboxie. It has continuing open-source development on github with signed certificate from MS: sandboxie/sandboxie
What I said is what I mean. Disabling something via bios is not as secure as pulling the sata cable from a drive..bios is still a software...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.