Is Comodo's Antivirus / Firewall underrated?

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I use Windows Defender with Comodo Firewall. But I don't install Comodo on my friends computers. They don't know what to do with the notifications. To sum up: very good for intermediate and advanced users.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I've been using Comodo products off an on since Version 1 of the firewall years ago. I find using CIS pretty much trouble free with default or Cruelsister settings.

Having said that, I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it occasionally. More for the delayed releases and enterprise customers getting fixes first. The latest vulnerability case in point. Enterprise customers got the fix on teh 29th of July and then consumers got the fix on the 4th of August.

Anyway, there products are great. The next big release is due to be focused on performance and protections.

Eric

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's over-rated for a modern Windows OS.

A lot of security vendors still design and develop features best suited for a 20 year old OS. For instance, Comodo version 3 was great with Windows XP to 7, but for Windows 10? I think there are plenty of other options.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I used Comodo Firewall both proactive and with CS settings for years and never had a problem with malware. There has always been talk of their antivirus being weak, but in the real world it seemed to work just fine for me. Currently, I'm not using it but might go back at some point.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Rather than their traditional Comodo Internet Security suite, what do you think of Comodo Cloud Antivirus for Windows 10?

Currently, I'm not using it but might go back at some point.

Anyway, there products are great. The next big release is due to be focused on performance and protections.

They don't know what to do with the notifications. To sum up: very good for intermediate and advanced users.

I have used Comodo internet security for several years and I have always been happy with their protection and another important reason is free

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Rather than their traditional Comodo Internet Security suite, what do you think of Comodo Cloud Antivirus for Windows 10?
For persons without experience is good product. The downside is you must have one good second opinion scanner because many times it blocks unknown files without you knowing it's a virus because of bad COMODO signatures.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I haven't tried the current version of CCAV,, which hasn't been updated in a while. There's little discussion about it on their forum, so don't know if it's being abandoned. When I used it it seemed a little heavy on my HP 355G2 laptop, 8G RAM. That said, it did a good job during the couple of months I tried it.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I tried CCAV awhile back. I know they're apparently working on the next version. I found that with CCAV in the past, Windows Smart Screen would capture a virus before CCAV picked it up but that was ages ago. I might give it another go.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
The guy who was handling Comodo Firewall and I think CCAV quit Comodo. I think his name was Umesh. Since he left, seems like almost everything stopped. I haven't heard of a newer version. I hope there is. CCAV is a good idea, pretty much set and forget and deserves to be continued.

lThinkFreel

Level 2
Jun 24, 2019
I know they're apparently working on the next version.
That is not true. Every thread on the ccav forum got closed. No answer back there why no news, no updates. The one who had control over ccav left comodo. Last update was last year in november. Its pretty much a dead product. I would not recomment it to anyone. Better use CF or cis instead that get regular updates.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I use Windows Defender with Comodo Firewall. But I don't install Comodo on my friends computers. They don't know what to do with the notifications. To sum up: very good for intermediate and advanced users.

If you install cf on your Friends pc's / laptops with cruelsisters settings , they will not be bothered with pop-ups or whatsoever : comodo becomes quit as a Mouse, but providing killer protection!

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
That is not true. Every thread on the ccav forum got closed. No answer back there why no news, no updates. The one who had control over ccav left comodo. Last update was last year in november. Its pretty much a dead product. I would not recomment it to anyone. Better use CF or cis instead that get regular updates.

That's true, things have gotten quieter since Umesh left. Another reason I have a love/hate thing with Comodo lately. CCAV worked much as it did before when I tried it a little bit ago. Back to CIS or CF with WD or other free av.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.