Advice Request Is Emsisoft for Android any good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I have been looking at privacy respecting security suites and Emsisoft was the first thing I found. I plan to use it on Windows but is it any good for Android? Thanks in advance...

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Why do you even consider wasting your smartphone/tablet resources to run security app on it?
You don't need any additional security solution for Android if you don't install tons of useless apps from Play Store.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I have been looking at privacy respecting security suites and Emsisoft was the first thing I found. I plan to use it on Windows but is it any good for Android? Thanks in advance...

Emsisoft Android is pretty good. It's not as feature packed as other suites, but it's still quite nice.

I prefer in the following order: V3 (Ahnlabs), Norton Mobile, Emsisoft, Sophos in that order for the most part.

The old 'you don't need antivirus on Android' I do not adhere to. Especially since products like V3 and Norton do link scanning, security/vulnerability scanning, permission evaluation and other good features such as pre-download Google Play Store evaluation of applications. These are great features, and why I believe everyone should run antivirus products on their Android.

Add to that, I recommend the use of an App-Locker for secondary defense. V3 has a really good app locker and other features like a cleaner/booster that actually WORK really well, and encrypted photo/hidden photo storage drives. No bloat at all in V3 that I can determine.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
V3, is there a english version available? I ask because when I check Google Play all the screenshots/description is in Korean.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
All these Android apps do is track you first and foremost.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
As for an antivirus for Android i have always said: not necessary, even made a thread about it. Nevertheless, with my ESET license for Windows i got a free Android license so i installed it. I feel it kind of useless, but i like that web protection. If you surf the web a olot on your phone, it's pretty good to be notified about dangerous webs and potentially unsafe ones. Specially since social networks contain hundreds of posts with links...

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Why do you even consider wasting your smartphone/tablet resources to run security app on it?
You don't need any additional security solution for Android if you don't install tons of useless apps from Play Store.

"Google's new Play Protect security system did not survive its first real-world tests, and the system was ranked dead last in an experiment carried out by German antivirus testing lab AV-Test.

According to results the laboratory posted on social media, Google Play Protect detected only 65.8% of new malware samples and only 79.2% of one-month-old malware." Android's New Google Play Protect System Miserably Fails First Security Test

In addition a good security app can improve phishing protection, warn you about vulnerable Wi-Fi and privacy settings.

I'm not saying anyone has to have it, but the Google Play store is not as secure as the App store.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
It's almost the same as Bitdefender if i'm not wrong, lots of anti-theft features, but half the price. If you want to buy it, it's fine. One of the antivirus that does not require too much 'Permissions' that I've found for Android is Zemana Antivirus.

If you are fine with android and google stock security features(anti-theft, permissions etc...), you add Zemana as another antivirus layer, and you're good to go. It's extremely light. Anyway, resources is not a particular problem these days on android, except if you have a very old smartphone.

Zemana Antivirus & Security - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@Umbra

I know Emsisoft Mobile Security supports Samsung/Chrome/FF/Dolphin/Opera/Opera Mini browsers.

Does its Web Security also protects ALL the above browsers against phishing/fraudulent/malicious sites?

The reason I ask is because Web Filtering/Web Protection etc from other AVs only protects some browsers instead of all supported browsers by the AV concerned e.g. Kaspersky Internet Security, BitDefender Mobile Security, Sophos Mobile Security and Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile support many browsers but their web protection works for Chrome and android stock browsers only.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Carbon copy of Bitdefender, very light and has all the features.
tho you can get cheaper licenses for BD than Emsi
it doesn't support all, it supports the basics, Opera, Opera Mini, Firefox, Chrome
eats around 60-70 mb of RAM

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Carbon copy of Bitdefender, very light and has all the features.
tho you can get cheaper licenses for BD than Emsi
it doesn't support all, it supports the basics, Opera, Opera Mini, Firefox, Chrome
eats around 60-70 mb of RAM
I'm talking of the Web Security feature of Emsisoft Mobile Security

According to Google Play Store

Web Security : Real time protection blocks malicious apps and phishing attempts

Emsisoft Mobile Security - Android Apps on Google Play

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
yea I know, as it's the same as Bitdefender, it only does it in the protected browsers.
How can it be the same as BItDefender when BitDefender's web protection works in Chrome and android stock browsers only. Read below link

Bitdefender Mobile Security system requirements

I'm using Emsisoft Mobile Security in my phone and Samsung/Chrome/FF browsers are the protected browsers

Reactions: mekelek

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
How can it be the same as BItDefender when BitDefender's web protection works in Chrome and android stock browsers only. Read below link

Bitdefender Mobile Security system requirements

I'm using Emsisoft Mobile Security in my phone and Samsung/Chrome/FF browsers are the protected browsers
I use Bitdefender and it works in Firefox, Opera, Opera Mini, Chrome and stock. that article might be outdated.

Reactions: HarborFront

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I use Bitdefender and it works in Firefox, Opera, Opera Mini, Chrome and stock. that article might be outdated.
Yes, BitDefender supports all the browser you mentioned but Web Protection is another issue.

Since you have BD Mobile Security can you confirm with BD on this?

Thanks

Reactions: mekelek
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.