Advice Request Is Emsisoft for Android any good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Yes, BitDefender supports all the browser you mentioned but Web Protection is another issue.

Since you have BD Mobile Security can you confirm with BD on this?

Thanks
d9ApUJ.png

when you open a browser, BD pops up "Your Web is protected" or something like that :D

Reactions: HarborFront

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
The display is the same as Emsisoft Mobile Security.

So, what are the differences? Which has more features, performance etc?

I just checked and Emsisoft uses about 50 MB of memory.
from my experience, since i used both, they're identical.
since Emsisoft is licensing the Bitdefender engine, my guess is, they're licensing the Android app too
difference is, you can get a 6 months license for Bitdefender for like 3 euros(from key seller sites), and you gotta pay full price for Emsisoft :D

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

from my experience, since i used both, they're identical.
since Emsisoft is licensing the Bitdefender engine, my guess is, they're licensing the Android app too
difference is, you can get a 6 months license for Bitdefender for like 3 euros(from key seller sites), and you gotta pay full price for Emsisoft :D

I agree, in fact, Emsisoft appears to be nothing more than a rebranded Bit Defender, even the module ram usage and other things are indentical. I feel it's a bit disingenuous because Emsisoft costs a good bit more but is functionally identical. I prefer Dr. Web SS or Bullguard for Mobile myself.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I agree, in fact, Emsisoft appears to be nothing more than a rebranded Bit Defender, even the module ram usage and other things are indentical. I feel it's a bit disingenuous because Emsisoft costs a good bit more but is functionally identical. I prefer Dr. Web SS or Bullguard for Mobile myself.
to be fair they're not trying to hide the fact, since the UI just got some colors changed and some text replaced.

Reactions: harlan4096

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
"Google's new Play Protect security system did not survive its first real-world tests, and the system was ranked dead last in an experiment carried out by German antivirus testing lab AV-Test.

According to results the laboratory posted on social media, Google Play Protect detected only 65.8% of new malware samples and only 79.2% of one-month-old malware." Android's New Google Play Protect System Miserably Fails First Security Test

In addition a good security app can improve phishing protection, warn you about vulnerable Wi-Fi and privacy settings.

I'm not saying anyone has to have it, but the Google Play store is not as secure as the App store.
My point would apply to very normal users only. Who don't download any weird apps or visit any unknown sites. They only use highly trusted apps and only visit highly trusted websites.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I just chat with BullGuard

1) It seems to support all browsers
2) It does NOT have web/browser protection feature

Any idea what browsers are supported by Dr Web SS and does it have web/browser protection against phishing/fraudulent/malicious sites?

Thanks

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I just chat with BullGuard

1) It seems to support all browsers
2) It doe NOT have web/browser protection feature

Any idea what browsers are supported by Dr Web SS and does it have web/browser protection against phishing/fraudulent/malicious sites?

Thanks

I believe to cap all browsers a local VPN may be required. Since I use Blokada w/malware lists, I don't really need browser protection.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.