Advice Request Is 'Harden Windows 10 for Security' Guide Worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Should I do this guide?

• Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Hey guys! So recently I have been thinking of trying out this guide. Harden Windows 10 - A Security Guide. How to secure Windows 10 I am more of a gamer with Steam so I do not know if this guide is right for me. Currently Avast + Default Win Security is protecting me. Is it enough or should I spend this weekend tinkering and trying this out. I am curious to hear from the members on their intake.

Thanks!
-JGamez

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I am against any "automated software" to "harden" Windows, you might end up bricking your system by disabling something you didn't know what it was actually needed for your everyday computer usage. I've seen many using "automated software" to do everything for them, instead of manually digging trough registry or gpedit for example, and then realising they have disabled some important services/features for favourite/most used programs just to archieve that "better gaming/pc performance". I recommend reading all "Hardening Windows 10 guide" section in the first place, make a system backup, and only then step-by-step applying any "tweaks" based on your preference. I think its better to manually learn/understand/configure how Windows works background than paying someone to do it for you, since everything can be archieved just by learning and practice, and of course, time. :rolleyes::D

This discussion Q&A - Completely securing a computer without using programs is very useful regarding your questions about hardening Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardening your OS is fine if you make a list of what you disabled\deleted, know how to reverse what you did, or have a means to reverse the changes.

Manually doing it is the best way to learn how to do it as well as about the OS - but I would bet virtually no one here would opt to do such a thing. They want plug-n-play.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Hardening your OS is fine if you make a list of what you disabled\deleted, know how to reverse what you did, or have a means to reverse the changes.

Manually doing it is the best way to learn how to do it as well as about the OS - but I would bet virtually no one here would opt to do such a thing. They want plug-n-play.

I was thinking of attempting to do the guide verbatim. I am the guy that likes to sit back and relax play some Steam games. The games however update very often. Do you think the updating the games will cause issues?

Reactions: Andy Ful and Rengar
D

Deleted member 178

Read carefully each tweaks, apply those you understand and need, you have a doubt about one of them, don't do it until you know better about its repercusions.

The creator of the guide is definitely not a gamer, he don't even use a network or wifi, so be careful.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Perhaps testing the tweaks in a VM would work the best. See what works and what doesn't. Avast + default Windows security should be enough. Though I might kept this in mind for the time being.

Thanks everyone!

I was thinking of attempting to do the guide verbatim. I am the guy that likes to sit back and relax play some Steam games. The games however update very often. Do you think the updating the games will cause issues?

You can learn a lot by following that guide.

The issue is tracking down which OS modifications are causing a problem(s) - and then knowing how to reverse them manually.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
If you think that you're protected enough and you feel safe, then no. On the other hand, if you feel like current combination is not good enough or you don't feel safe, then yes.

Be careful when changing settings because you can make your system unstable and unresponsive.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I voted no because I prefer the manual method however I am not saying that it is not a good guide.
I agree with Jeff that if you decide to try these make sure you keep some type of log as to what you tweaked so it can be reversed if need be.
A good rule of thumb is if you don't know what it does don't change it.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
he doesn't even use a network or wifi, so be careful.

Wait so in the guide he recommends an AV (whether Windows Defender or a 3rd party) if this is true and he is not on the internet how can the AV's database update? Without the internet, you cannot really do much such as data backups to cloud storage. So what could I do about that?

I might try doing the guide later in the week and will keep a list of what I did.
Thanks everyone!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

Lazy users usually get less than satisfying results, I agree Jeff. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Wait so in the guide he recommends an AV (whether Windows Defender or a 3rd party) if this is true and he is not on the internet how can the AV's database update? Without the internet, you cannot really do much such as data backups to cloud storage. So what could I do about that?
I dont say he doesn't go to internet , i say he doesnt have multi-machine network or use wifi; he just connect to his router via cable.

lunarlander

Level 1
Verified
Oct 8, 2017
The purchased configuration pack has 2 restore to default bat files. One for services and one for ACLs. If after configuration some things don't work, then use them one after the other to quickly isolate where the problems is.

The Configuration Pack does not do everything for you, many steps require manually setting things. But not having to one service at a time saved time. And there is 'my personal service comfig' which should not be applied until you have read what settings it does.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
You can use NoVirusThanks SysHardener to apply most tweaks. Add Binisoft Windows Firewall Control and you are almost done

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Probably just a good idea to use NVT Syshardener and work from there.

~LDogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.