Is i5 2500k still enough for VMs

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I am wondering if my aging i5 2500k processor is enough for Virtual Machines still ?

Reactions: SHvFl

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Ok it is just I heard it never was meant for VMs.
How's that? If you mean Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) that is disabled I don't think it will make any difference, explicitly if VirtualBox or VMWare are giving you errors of unsupported model.

Reactions: Andytay70 and SHvFl

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I wouldn't see why you couldn't use it for that processor. Virtual Box works on even some of the low-end computers and that specific processor you listed is still very powerful by today's fulfillment.

Reactions: Andytay70 and SHvFl

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I used this processor overclocked at 4.5ghz with a VM with no issues before I accidentally chipped the plating on it. One of the best generations of Intel processors. If you're getting it considerably cheaper than a 4th gen, I highly recommend it.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
SandyBridge is Intel's best ever release. 2500K/2600K/2700K can OC to 4.5ghz/5ghz no stress.

Nothing since SandyBridge has come close in terms of performance and overclocking.

2500K will still handle today's VM's nicely. OC her to 4.5ghz and your good to go.

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
I totally agree with Zero Knowledge's post here. I still have a sandy bridge CPU and it's going strong.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You will be fine running a VM with your processor.
It is above the minimum CPU requirement.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.