Advice Request Is Iobit Malware Fighter safe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
1. Several links towards IObit using Malwarebytes database.
2. PC Optimisation software is junk.
3. Ignoring the fact that some IObit software are of great quality.

1. So basically, an opinion becomes biased when it is based on factual events? That's new to me.
2. They are. I'm a tech, any tech worth it's penny knows these are useless and shouldn't be used. I wouldn't expect other people to understand though.
3. Really? Which ones?

Reactions: Oxygen
W

Wave

3. Really? Which ones?
In all fairness, even though I may not necessarily like IObit, the Uninstaller software they provide can be pretty useful.

You are right about the Malwarebytes database theft, I went back and re-read about it as I had forgotten about it since I had last read about it a long time ago... But things change over time, and everyone makes mistakes. I doubt IObit ever did something like that again, they learnt their lesson from when they got exposed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1. So basically, an opinion becomes biased when it is based on factual events? That's new to me.
2. They are. I'm a tech, any tech worth it's penny knows these are useless and shouldn't be used. I wouldn't expect other people to understand though.
3. Really? Which ones?
See my point #3.

You don't need to be a tech to figure out that IObit Uninstaller is a very good piece of software. It's taken many years before Revo released 64-bit support on their Freeware version.

Daniel G

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 21, 2016
Iobit's uninstaller is good.
What i dislike is their "subtle" way of tricking people to install software they don't really want or need.
That was an issue i had to correct on some ladies PC.

Btw, thanks a bunch guys for your input.
Very informative! :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
As others have posted, it's safe to use. It use Bitdefender signatures so has a decent detection rate. But it lacks any decent proactive protection, which is a big minus, and a good reason to use something else for now.

The first beta for IObit Malware Figher 5 malware will be released soon, and it will be interesting to see if it's a worthwhile product.

W

Wave

As others have posted, it's safe to use. It use Bitdefender signatures so has a decent detection rate. But it lacks any decent proactive protection, which is a big minus, and a good reason to use something else for now.

The first beta for IObit Malware Figher 5 malware will be released soon, and it will be interesting to see if it's a worthwhile product.
If I remember correctly the product also has capabilities to monitor AutoRun modifications (e.g. via the registry) and web-browser modifications, probably some other things as well?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If I remember correctly the product also has capabilities to monitor AutoRun modifications (e.g. via the registry) and web-browser modifications, probably some other things as well?
It does some very basic checks and that's it. I don't think it does much more than monitoring autoruns, home page changes and changes to DNS settings.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
It was true. Malwarebytes set a bait for IObit and they took it, proving they were indeed stealing Malwarebytes' definitions.
IObit products aren't worth using in my opinion. Any company which main product is a "PC Booster" crapware doesn't deserve to have their products used, and most of the time, they'll not be as good as others on the market.
is it safe? Yes
but despite of above post, Iobit malware fighter is a kind of bloatware for me. You will constantly given choice to install other premium apps from them.

Reactions: Venustus

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
If a company has great products, but has questionable practices... I would recommend going for alternatives. Everyone in the forum has some opinions, some factual points - and everyone thinks they're right (including me). What's important is that you decide what resonates with you, and your viewpoints on things.

The way I see it, promoting a questionable company with questionable practices will only encourage it to grow its legitimate side of its business and their shady methods. And what's worse, like other companies that attempt to censor Free Speech...like Enigma Software for instance (who tried to gag a negative review of theirs on Bleeping Computer) the result of iObit becoming more popular is that they will use every legal method in the book to black out their questionable actions and techniques, and we'll only have ourselves to blame.

Like I said, it depends on where you stand on issue. If the ends justify the means is your policy - and nobody here would condone you for that, it's a policy most of us share in varying degrees and shades - if the reviews of the Product's efficiency are good, but the Company's reputation isn't... try to weigh the risks before deciding.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
the result of iObit becoming more popular is that they will use every legal method in the book to black out their questionable actions and techniques, and we'll only have ourselves to blame.
While they have a shady past, IObit really do seem to have changed their ways.

Their current software is very good (with the exception of IMF/ASC Ultimate), is regularly updated, and they are quick to fix any bugs I report to them. IMF has potential to be a good product, but at the moment its lack of decent proactive protection hinders it a lot.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
While they have a shady past, IObit really do seem to have changed their ways.

Their current software is very good (with the exception of IMF/ASC Ultimate), is regularly updated, and they are quick to fix any bugs I report to them. IMF has potential to be a good product, but at the moment its lack of decent proactive protection hinders it a lot.
It seems most free antivirus only has an antivirus component and some paid antivirus products have an additional firewall. Others I can think of is blocking malware sites. Are these extra protections either significant or enough?

Reactions: asn1

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It seems most free antivirus only has an antivirus component and some paid antivirus products have an additional firewall. Others I can think of is blocking malware sites. Are these extra protections either significant or enough?
Most antiviruses (even free ones) have proactive protection which will monitor your system for suspicious behaviour. No product is going to catch everything, but it can help finding a threat that the the antivirus does not recgonise yet.

asn1

Level 1
Verified
Aug 25, 2015
yes it is safe but
Forget this program is not good
malwarebytes Much better than iobit Malware Fighter

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
yes it is safe but
Forget this program is not good
malwarebytes Much better than iobit Malware Fighter
Actually the paid version IObit Malware Fighter is a full antivirus now, and uses Bitdefender signatures (as well as its own). It's a lot different to previous versions which detected very little, but still not as good as better established antiviruses.

Reactions: Behold Eck
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.