Advice Request Is it possible self educate in cybersecurity?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

VillSkill

Thread author
Oct 21, 2022
Hi,

I have a degree in CS and I want to get skills in cybersecurity and make it my main specialization. By that, I mean I don't want to get a job or internship, I just want to do it for myself. I started to learn online on this site, but I need advice on what to do next.

What are the best resources you would recommend for a newbie? Like YouTube channels, influencers, tutorials or etc. Thank you in advance.

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Hi,

I have a degree in CS and I want to get skills in cybersecurity and make it my main specialization. By that, I mean I don't want to get a job or internship, I just want to do it for myself. I started to learn online on this site, but I need advice on what to do next.

What are the best resources you would recommend for a newbie? Like YouTube channels, influencers, tutorials or etc. Thank you in advance.
Are you doing this for a career or for fun? Since no amount of self taught learning will get you hired unless you got the certificates to prove it.

A new startup is looking for an eager self motivated beginner that requires very little coaching and has 75 years of experience in writing Python.

Last edited:
Reactions: VillSkill and plat

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, it's possible, but in case you change your mind later, there is a variety of courses and certifications via Bleeping Computer that may add some points to your resume. These are generally not free, though.

You'll have to scroll and browse since the site is vast. You can also follow BC on Twitter as it advertises these things there now and then.

Stenographers

Level 2
Nov 11, 2022
It depends, you need to answer a couple questions to determine where to start:

- What are you securing?
- Who are you securing it from?

I find the easiest way to learn is to do. So good practice may be building out a threat model, coming up with mitigation, and implementing / documenting them.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
You cannot implement what you do not know about. Constucting a threat model from limited knowledge will look good on paper to you after all the hard work, but is worth little. For a simpler starting point, look at PCI DSS. It lists the security controls that VISA, Master Card and other credit card companies demand that participating merchants must implement. (Document Library) It is solid material to start off with, and the document is not too long. And the reasons for implementing each control are also provided. Best of all, it is free. The security controls listed are doable for small companies too, so you can stand up an implementation right in your home.

Last edited:

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
try this
i was into hacking few months ago and i did a research and this was the best thing to start with and reach to a pro level.
sadly i lose my motivation pretty fast. so i lost mine but if you think you have what it takes, here. start your jounrey.
the good thing about this is you can start with pretty much lowest knowledge
Check the requirements

Requirements
  • Basic IT Skills
  • No Linux, programming or hacking knowledge required.
  • Computer with a minimum of 4GB ram/memory.
  • Operating System: Windows / Apple Mac OS / Linux.
  • For WiFi cracking (10 lectures ONLY) - Wireless adapter that supports monitor mode (more info provided in the course).

Highly recommend to read the Description part, this guy teaches you literally everything, hacking networks and securing them, hacking computers and securing them, ports stuff like that hacking websites and securing them. i wish i had the motivation..
I'm not him by the way, i know it looks like i'm advertising for him i did a Google search myself too, so i checked the reviews (read the reviews on Umedy also) and everyone were happy with his classes so why not, here the article mention other ways to start too:
first link on this page suggest this guy from Umedy

Hope it helps.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
It is pretty hard to get companies to trust you once they know you can hack them. There Are companies that rely on penetration testing as a security measure, but they are harder to come by. But you better be good at it, as in you can develop exploits, not just grab them off exploits.com.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I wrote this in another thread. This is what I would do if I wanted to start to learn security.

Forums both Whitehat and Blackhat are key to learning, you can build links and network with other InfoSec people or hacking/security people.

Join Twitter/Mastodon/Slack and follow infosec/privacy people/join infosec groups.

Reddit for their netsec/privacy/networking subreddit's.

Read krebsonsecurity.com/schneier.com for security news/malware news/privacy & encryption news.

Listen to podcasts of all sorts dealing with privacy/security.

Read Eset/Kaspersky blogs/reports and especially read their APT reports.

Follow Cisco Talos blog, Google's project zero and tag for interesting exploits and malware.

Read citizen lab for surveillance information and operations,

Join WhatsApp/Telegram groups about infosec/malware/privacy.

Download courses/books about security/pen testing/networking/encryption and read them.

Reactions: Victor M

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello there,

It is great to hear that you are interested in cybersecurity and want to specialize in it. Self-education is definitely possible in cybersecurity and there are numerous resources available online to help you get started.

Here are some resources that I would recommend for beginners:

1. Cybrary - Cybrary is a free online cybersecurity training platform that offers numerous courses and materials to get you started.

2. YouTube channels - There are many YouTube channels dedicated to cybersecurity, some of which are:

a. The Cyber Mentor
b. HackerSploit
c. IppSec
d. SecurityTube
e. Cybersecurity Training

3. Blogs and websites - You can also find numerous blogs and websites that provide valuable information on cybersecurity, such as:

a. DarkReading
b. Threatpost
c. KrebsOnSecurity
d. SecurityWeek

4. Podcasts - Cybersecurity podcasts are a great way to stay updated and informed about the latest trends and threats. Some of the popular podcasts are:

a. Security Now
b. Security Weekly
c. Darknet Diaries

Apart from these, you can also work on getting industry certifications such as CompTIA Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), and Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).

I hope this helps you get started. Good luck!

Reactions: ng4ever and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.