Is it possible to disable automatic Windows 10 updates ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
When I'm at home, my Internet speed is very, very slow.
So when Windows 10 download automatically its updates, I cannot use Internet as well as I would like.
I would like to postpone this automatic downloading of Windows 10 updates.
Can you help me ?
Thanks.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hi,

Please try the following methods:

Method 1
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
  2. From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
  3. In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
  4. Restart
Method 2
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: regedit and press enter
  2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
  3. In there create a ‘32-bit DWORD’ value called ‘AuOptions’ and under ‘Value Data’ type 2 and click ‘OK’
  4. Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
  5. Restart
I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Hi,

Please try the following methods:

Method 1
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter
  2. From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it
  3. In ‘Startup Type’ (under the ‘General’ tab) change it to ‘Disabled’
  4. Restart
Method 2
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: regedit and press enter
  2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
  3. In there create a ‘32-bit DWORD’ value called ‘AuOptions’ and under ‘Value Data’ type 2 and click ‘OK’
  4. Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
  5. Restart
I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo
I did this ages ago on another PC. Windows 10 broke that PC and welp I had to revert it to Windows 8.1...

Method 1 works perfectly trust me!

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
In settings -> Internet and wifi -> select your network and then you have to choose an option that in English I could translate as " the payment depend on how long you surf the net " ( sorry )

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
O&O ShutUP10 Should help you with this. I use it myself on my laptop :)

More control over your operating system

• Adapt your security settings
  • Protect your privacy
  • Control location services
  • Control Windows Updates
  • Do not pass on your user data and diagnostics
Home Page: O&O ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10
Direct Download: https://dl5.oo-software.com/files/ooshutup10/OOSU10.exe

An Overview

I undestand this tool disables Windows Update? With no option of updating. That's what i believed and what happened to me when i used it. (maybe i broke it and that's why i couldn't update later)

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Thank you at all of you for your advices:)
I'm not sure what is the best option for me ?
Is it possible to disable but continue to have a pop up saying "there are new updates" ; like on previous Windows OS ?

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Is it possible to disable but continue to have a pop up saying "there are new updates" ; like on previous Windows OS ?

Hi,

Yes it is possible but you can apply it only with Group Policy Editor which is available for Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise.
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
  2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
  3. Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 – Notify for download and notify for install’
  5. Restart
The Group Policy Editor will notify you about new updates without automatically installing them. Security updates will still install automatically.

Regards,
Kardo

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hi,

Yes it is possible but you can apply it only with Group Policy Editor which is available for Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise.
  1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
  2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
  3. Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 – Notify for download and notify for install’
  5. Restart
The Group Policy Editor will notify you about new updates without automatically installing them. Security updates will still install automatically.

Regards,
Kardo
Thanks @Kardo Kristal :)
I will try ASAP on a PC I don't use for my work.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Anyway if someone needed it ( does not work with wired connection)

"After enabling this option, Windows Update will say “Updates are available. We’ll download the updates as soon as you connect to Wi-Fi, or you can download the updates using your data connection (charges may apply.)” By marking a connection as metered, you’ve tricked Windows into thinking it’s a mobile data connection–for example, you might be tethering your PC to your smartphone. You can click the Download button to download and install updates at your leisure."

Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.