Advice Request Is it possible to get infected with Kaspersky TAM enabled ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiderExpert

Level 2
Verified
Jul 21, 2016
If you uncheck "Trust digitally signed applications" unless KSN mark a malware as trusted [which is something I believe it has never happened before (but I'm not sure) and it's almost impossible to happen] it would be almost impossible to get infected (and I only say 'almost' because you never know what could happen in this world...) With that option unchecked, only files that were already verified by Kaspersky will be allowed to run. So, with that being said, since Kaspersky has already analyzed the file, you will be safe.

But I also recommend having a good Application Control settings in case you allow an unknown software TAM has blocked to run.

RiderExpert

Level 2
Verified
Jul 21, 2016
once upon a time TAM decided to block Windows update files/executables and ripped my installation
since then TAM is that neighbor dog that you pet once and bit you, never again
Haha, Yes. This will happen because Kaspersky didn't have the time to analyze the file, so they cannot tell it for sure that is trusted. If they don't know if its trusted or not, TAM will block its execution.

It happens to me a lot with Matlab, GTA V, and Steam updates.

RiderExpert

Level 2
Verified
Jul 21, 2016
I have an update here. I was wrong. TAM does not care if you check/uncheck "Trust digitally signed applications". This setting only works with application control module.

Kaspersky Trusted Application Mode will ALLOW digitally signed apps to run. It does not matter if you have that checkbox marked or not.

Looks like when they say "Trusted" they mean "Trusted with default settings". Be aware of that. So, answering the question of this Thread:

YES, if you do not have a good Application Control setting it is possible to get infected even with TAM enable. (Of course, that is very unlikely because Kaspersky is pretty awesome and bla bla bla). But what I mean is: if a malware is unknown but it is digitally signed and you have every other security component disable, you will get infected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.