Is it this simple to get scammed on facebook?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Right, I was on Facebook just clicking the Top News and Most Recent (to get rid of the numbers).

I saw this (also posted here) looks like they commented on the video:
[attachment=185]

Since I was curious to see how these scams work, I clicked on the link. Which took me to this page:
[attachment=184]

Code:
2+3 = 5

Then I saw someone else had commented the same link with 5.

So is that all it takes for these scams to spread on Facebook? Where the number 5 becomes a comment?

Attachments

• fb_scam2.png
    fb_scam2.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 505
  • fb_scam1.png
    fb_scam1.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 498

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Seems its also similar from what I read in Sophos blog, Enter that simple arithmetic then boom sends a comment to everyone.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I did say it was post here somewhere. :p

So it that how they spread of FB?

PS: I don't use FB much. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well yes that the way they spread to Facebook, so no surprise if the user there can trick with those scams.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
It wouldn't surprise me if it was that easy.
What is the purpose of the maths question in relation to the scam?
I don't know how facebook works.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
If all that happens is you enter a number and it gets posted on everyones wall that you commented on it what do they actually gain from that??

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They gain for convince everyone to watch the video and they will click it, but some users probably will only annoyed with these things and ignored.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Well, this is new. These scams are so common now, I'm not even surprised that something like this happened, but to prevent you from being scammed, question everyone, trust no one ;)

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
jamescv7 said:
They gain for convince everyone to watch the video and they will click it, but some users probably will only annoyed with these things and ignored.

So its just a way for them advertise their video?? After entering the number does the video actual show??

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well not sure if shows a video caused actually most scam are having a popup survey that you need to do it before watching the video.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
The scam writers get paid for each survey that anyone takes. These surveys are tied to their partner code, if I remember correctly some blog posts have taken a look at the source of these types of apps and shown that part of the scam code includes "survey partner" ids so they can make the cash each time I survey is taken.

A good amount of the time the views asks you to go to a link which may ask you to install some adware but that is not always the case. So even after taking the survey you have a good chance you won't see the video.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ibrad, thanks for the interesting information.

V

Vextor

Another thing. New Facebook Rogue Applications make you post a JavaScript code into the browser address bar (by dragging it) and then it actually sends out a message. Then it re-diects you to the page with the survey which never works and now the hackers have promoted it and made some money

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.