Is it worth having Voodooshield AND Kaspersky Internet Security ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I am interested to know if it is worth installing Vodooshield alongside Kaspersky Internet Security.

Doesn't Kaspersky already do what Voodooshiled does ?

Comments appreciated.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Reason for not combining? VoodooShield + Kaspersky Internet Security is a good configuration but they could conflict a little bit. You need to experiment but I think that if you would find then the perfect settings you will be very good secured!

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I am interested to know if it is worth installing Vodooshield alongside Kaspersky Internet Security.

Doesn't Kaspersky already do what Voodooshiled does ?

Comments appreciated.

I like Kaspersky Free w/Voodooshield. Seems like a match made in heaven to me.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hmmm... Combining a signature based real-time scanner with a cloud-multi-engine AI doesn't make sense for me :D For the web protection alone I wouldn't use Kaspersky Free.

Voodooshield I could care less about the AI scanning, it's about blocking things from executing. What's wrong with the web scanning in Kaspersky Free?

Nevertheless, I have Fortiguard AND Zvelo for Web Filtration so any endpoint filtration is gravy.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
My idea is to combine Voodooshield with Kaspersky Internet Security (the paid version) which already comes with things that control the behaviour of applications. My fear is that Voodooshield does the same thing , so there is no point in having both. Plus it could cause conflicts.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
My idea is to combine Voodooshield with Kaspersky Internet Security (the paid version) which already comes with things that control the behaviour of applications. My fear is that Voodooshield does the same thing , so there is no point in having both. Plus it could cause conflicts.

Theres no reason for not combining and no reason for combining... :D You need to decide what you need.

Reactions: bribon77

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
If you are running Kaspersky I do not see the need for it. But as stated above, you decide what you need. Test it out and see how it works for you.

Reactions: bribon77

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I am sorry. But for me it does not make sense,
Voodooshield and Kaspersky Internet Security.:)

Reactions: Trooper
D

Deleted member 178

Indeed it is redundant . i dont see any benefits of adding VS to KIS.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I forgot what the feature is called but yes, Kaspersky can do what VS does. However, I personally prefer VS over Kaspersky's feature, so when I had KIS I just disabled it and used VS.

Reactions: outlawxtorn

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Voodoshield is meant to be a companion tool for any exist security program although consider the fact of practicality on setup, we need to avoid overkill setups and redundant combination components that can only suffer slowdowns.

Kaspersky Internet Security contains robust features including Application Control that can standalone to your system, all you have to do is to configure it correctly.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I just don't see other reason to use VS with Kaspersky only if you think it's weak or don't trust it. Otherwise VS seems to be rather redundant.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
To each their own. But personally, if I were using Kaspersky (especially on default settings) I would still use VoodooShield.

Haven't used Kaspersky in long time but I believe their application control will allow anything that has a trusted signature, VoodooShield wouldn't.
And for those that might mention trusted application mode, I don't like it. Some settings I could change would be to disable the "trust application with a digital signature" and to put unknown applications on 'high-restricted'. Of course, you will have to trust Kaspersky to not break anything. And I can see this can be a hassle for some people, which is why I believe Voodooshield is more easier and user-friendly to manage.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can configure KIS to do what Voodoo does, if the main thing you want is anti exe.
However, Voodoo also has other desirable features, and it might be easier to use as an anti exe.
Furthermore, KIS sometimes crashes, or can be compromised, so there is reason to say that two security apps are better than one.
I don't think they conflict, because Voodoo does not have AV or anti-exploit features. Voodoo is strictly post-exploit protection, so it should not conflict.

Reactions: Dave Russo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.