Advice Request Is it worth upgrading Revo Uninstaller Pro to the last version ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading Revo Uninstaller Pro 31.6.0 to the last version 4.5.5.0 ? :unsure:

revo.PNG

Virtuoso

Level 2
Feb 21, 2022
I was using 5 years old Revo Pro, so bought the new 2 year license for Revo Uninstaller Pro last week. These are some discount codes if you need:

Revo Uninstaller Pro:
1 year license
Code: proinstallty1

2 year license
Code: proinstallty2
or
uninstallpropage2

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hello,
I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading Revo Uninstaller Pro 31.6.0 to the last version 4.5.5.0 ? :unsure:
Newer versions find more leftovers. If that matters to you then it may be worth upgrading. However, you may want to try HiBit if you haven't already done so, as not only is it very good at finding leftovers, it's free. According to a test done a while back by someone here, Revo found more leftovers. But, I don't think there's a massive difference between the two. HiBit receives very regular updates which often improve the scan for leftovers.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I had a long licence with Revo, then I fitted a new mainboard/chip & my licence expired with Revo with the changes - Revo support was less than helpful so as a stopgap was uninclined to buy Revo again after the not good service I tried HiBit & was most impressed - I really like it & in many ways an improvement on Revo, if they were both free I'd still use HiBit :oops:

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
HiBit uninstaller is a really good program, it gets updated frequently and it improves scanning in finding leftovers from uninstalled programs.
the creators of this program deserve a lot of applause.
besides, it is a free program that is worth having in your system.:)(y)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
HiBit uninstaller is a really good program, it gets updated frequently and it improves scanning in finding leftovers from uninstalled programs.
the creators of this program deserve a lot of applause.
besides, it is a free program that is worth having in your system.:)(y)
I used it and its great, but as my friend told me he this:
Usually I’m able to do all of that it does myself, however, I’ll keep it in mind if I need to uninstall a piece of stubborn software on someone’s computer, such as my mother’s, because I cannot expect her to run registry searches and all that. Thanks for sharing.

I stopped using Hibit. And even do not care about registry leftovers, whatever.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Microsoft clearly recommends not using a registry cleaner or Uninstaller.
A former Windows MVP told me that.
It's perfectly safe to use a registry cleaner, as long as it doesn't remove any needed registry keys. But, 99% of registry cleaners will mistakenly think that some valid registry keys are errors and want to delete them. Understandably, doing so can cause problems. Aside from that, it is exceptionally rare for a registry cleaner to fix any issues you are having with a computer, and even rarer to make a computer run faster. So it's fine to use one the very few safe registry cleaners which will most likely never want to delete a valid registry key, but there's usually not much point. It's worth nothing that the registry cleaner included with HiBit, is safe to use.

Once again with uninstallers, it's fine to use them as long they don't remove any needed files or registry keys. Sometimes when uninstallers scan for leftovers, they will find registry keys and in rare occasions, files, that do not belong to the software that was just uninstalled. Because of this, it's important to take a look at what leftovers they want to delete, rather than just letting them delete everything they think are leftovers. If used with some care, third party uninstallers can be very useful.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hello,

Windows 11 support has been added since version Revo Pro 4.5.0 another important changes "bug fixes", "Improved – Scanning algorithms for leftovers"

Personally for me it's enough using Revo Free, probably almost same versions like Pro but released at a later date, just check release notes:

Finally, I wouldn't upgrading Revo Pro, rather using Revo Free and also trying "HiBit Uninstaller" (as others here already mentioned...)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
It's perfectly safe to use a registry cleaner, as long as it doesn't remove any needed registry keys. But, 99% of registry cleaners will mistakenly think that some valid registry keys are errors and want to delete them. Understandably, doing so can cause problems. Aside from that, it is exceptionally rare for a registry cleaner to fix any issues you are having with a computer, and even rarer to make a computer run faster. So it's fine to use one the very few safe registry cleaners which will most likely never want to delete a valid registry key, but there's usually not much point. It's worth nothing that the registry cleaner included with HiBit, is safe to use.

Once again with uninstallers, it's fine to use them as long they don't remove any needed files or registry keys. Sometimes when uninstallers scan for leftovers, they will find registry keys and in rare occasions, files, that do not belong to the software that was just uninstalled. Because of this, it's important to take a look at what leftovers they want to delete, rather than just letting them delete everything they think are leftovers. If used with some care, third party uninstallers can be very useful.
Should You Use a Third-Party Uninstaller?

"In an ideal world, there’d be no need for a third-party uninstaller.
First of all, if you’re an average user, skip the third-party uninstaller. We haven’t run one on all of our computers and haven’t run into much trouble when we didn’t use them. Standard uninstallers are generally good enough. A third-party uninstaller is just another system tool that adds needless complexity to your life for questionable benefits."

"However, even average users may want to use dedicated removal tools when uninstalling notoriously problematic tools like Norton or McAfee. There’s a reason the developers provide official removal tools you can download — but you don’t need a third-party uninstaller. The official removal tool will likely work better.

If you’re a geek who’s constantly installing and uninstalling software, running a third-party uninstaller can help you prevent useless files from building up and programs from leaving useless libraries and other files behind. You do have to be constantly installing and uninstalling software for this to matter — typical users shouldn’t really notice a difference. Even hardcore geeks would be fine without third-party uninstallers in the vast majority of situations, and such geeks would likely know how to clean up any problems by hand. If any problems did occur, you could always install something like Revo later and use it to remove traces of a problematic program that you’ve already tried to uninstall the normal way."

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Uninstaller software is like a luxury item, like cigarettes or alcohol. It is not absolutely necessary and can have negative effects. It is something to be understood and to savor the effect of just a little refreshment.

Personally, I will continue to use the uninstaller because I dislike software that sits uselessly in the remnant folder and startup more than the registry.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Revo Uninstaller Pro 5.0.0 released with lots of improvements
The latest version of Revo Uninstaller Pro 5.0.0 includes several new features. One of the new features is the Uninstaller History. You find it with a click on "More Commands" and the selection of Uninstall History when "All Programs" is selected.

Revo Uninstaller lists a record of all past activity that resulted in the removal of apps and programs on the system. Each item is listed with its name and version, operation, size, and the time the operation took place. A double-click on an item displays details, including names and paths of removed files and folders.

The program removal process has been improved in the new version. Revo Uninstaller 5.0.0 Pro may scan all Windows accounts for leftovers now, and not just the account of the executing user. Additionally, programs and applications may now be uninstalled for standard users.

Another change related to the program's core functionality is the ability to batch uninstall browser extensions or Windows applications. Select the Windows Apps or Browser Extensions menus to display all installed apps and extension from supported browsers. You may now select multiple for removal, which speeds up the entire process significantly, provided that you need to remove more than one app or browser extension from a system.

Other changes include support for dark mode, more theme customization options, and command line support for Windows apps and browser extensions. Select Menu > Options > View > Theme to enable Dark Mode. There you find options to change colors as well.

The tools section has three new tools according to the changelog, and an option to add custom user tools to the listing.

The developers have improved other areas of the program. The Startup tool lists startup apps as well now in the new version, and the scanning of leftovers and the loading of them afterwards has improved by up to 50% according to the release notes.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Uninstaller software is like a luxury item, like cigarettes or alcohol. It is not absolutely necessary and can have negative effects. It is something to be understood and to savor the effect of just a little refreshment.

Personally, I will continue to use the uninstaller because I dislike software that sits uselessly in the remnant folder and startup more than the registry.
I agree with you. I recently decided to use Revo Uninstaller. Do you suggest that to your friends?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I had never had any trouble while using Revo.
The important thing about uninstall software is whether it will cause problems when used.
I think Revo is a good choice in that respect.:)
Revo occasionally has issue with false positives, which means it wants to delete files or registry keys that do not belong to the software that was just uninstalled. With any uninstaller, you should manually take a look at what they want to delete, before letting them delete anything.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Changelog for new version has been released yesterday:

JULY 25, 2022 Revo Uninstaller Pro 5.0.5​

• Added – Option to disable Uninstall History feature
  • Added – “Get our Android App” Help menu command to make it easier to download Revo Uninstaller App on our phone
  • Improved – Scanning algorithms for leftovers
  • Minor user interface improvements
  • Fixed minor bugs
  • Updated language files

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.