Is it wrong to uninstall one security program, then install another one?

mostafa96

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 2, 2015
hi
is it wrong to uninstall and install different security program

i mean if i install program and after awhile a wanted to change it if i used it's removal tool and installed new program is it ok or the old program may have some left over and cause problem ?

Reactions: Hangtooth
L

LabZero

Most of the leftovers is removed (but never all) and it is always better to use the specific manufacturer uninstaller.
I have tested dozens of antivirus and my system is perfect, reason ? OS image always available!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
You may consider the following system imaging software for creating full system images which allow you to restore your system to the exact state it was in when you created those images:
OR
Create these system images BEFORE you install any software on your computer (or generally before you test any new applications) and you can use them to revert your system to the exact state it was in before you tested that software.

If you have already installed a security product (e.g. an Antivirus), you should use the specialized "Uninstall Tool" for that product for the cleanest uninstall (you can usually get the tool from the product's official website).

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Good tips above, ESPECIALLY to have a backup just in case it all goes horribly wrong.

I have been installing and uninstalling various security products for a few weeks now trying to find a product lineup to stick with so I try and keep things clean. I finally just said screw it and did a clean windows 10 install this week anyway. It wasn't necessary, but the speedy feel of a clean install is great.

For removing something I really want to get rid of like an old AV:

1) Do normal uninstall with either Geek Uninstaller Free/Revo Uninstaller Free (my preference is Geek) If using Geek, use ONLY the free version, the paid one seems to be a different program entirely. Geek Free: Download | GeekUninstaller Revo Free: Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

2) Run any av removal tools offered by the product you are uninstalling OR even available at their competitors -> I know Eset maintains a great list of av uninstaller tools presumably for folks to move to Eset AV. It's a great compiled list of AV uninstallers in one easy to reference place: Uninstallers (removal tools) for common Windows antivirus software—ESET Knowledgebase

3) Run CCleaner (pick the Registry tab to scan, by default it cleans files) and/or privaZer (with the most conservative (choose basic user) default settings for safety) to rid the registry of anything else and any abandoned leftover files etc. Ccleaner Free CCleaner - Standard2. privaZer Free PC cleaner. Be VERY careful with privaZer as it's much more powerful and aggressive than CCleaner. I use it at the lowest possible settings and even then I make sure I do a full restore point before even launching it.

Something almost always gets left behind, but if you follow these steps, restarting as directed by each tool, I think what is left over will have negligible impact on future installs of any av product.

Last edited:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
The short answer is: Uninstall --> Reboot then Install the new product.

Reboot is important because it will remove all the "drivers" and other stuff.

If you don't like the built-in uninstaller I recommend Geek Uninstaller (I use the free version, you can buy it if you really like it).

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Perfectly alright to do.It is no different than uninstalling and then installing a new program.3rd part uninstallers work well as they make use of the programs uninstaller but allow you to scan and remove the leftovers.Some programs will not remove all traces even on a restart
No matter how you uninstall an AV/Security program a restart is always recommended.
The following are good free 3rd party uninstallers
Revo Uninstaller(Pro is better but is paid)
IObit uninstaller
Geek Uninstaller

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
With proper removal procedure therefore there is nothing wrong to install another one as long you reboot after every changes.

Backup should properly observe, cause Windows provides a lot of changes where issues may exist in future outcomes.

Better install a program like SecureAplus or Crystal Security, as you know multi engines should take care already from overall protection. That's one of the reason why user change a lot as not satisfied on the usual AV they have. *

* Well that's my overall opinion that could reduce the possible hassle and problems

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Some of the AVs don't have a very good uninstaller, and leave small files behind unintentionally, but these files usually aren't even used when your PC is booted because the main programme has been uninstalled, they should not mess with the system but if they do you can manually remove them by just deleting the entire file.

I have come across AVs that have such broken installers/uninstallers that they do not remove services and drivers properly, in that case I used other uninstallers to remove them. Also you should check the AV vendor's site for a dedicated uninstall tool, it usually removes all files more efficiently than others.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.