Advice Request Is MalwareBytes 3.0 worth installing now or?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
may i know who else is still using their 2.2x version? is the malware definition still constantly being updated on 2.2 or have they moved everything to 3.0x? need to know good their malware detection compared to 3.0x

cheers
I believe that the detection rate is the same. Virus definitions are created for detecting malware. However, I'd rather install the latest version than use the old one.

Net Centric

Level 1
Nov 7, 2016
may i know who else is still using their 2.2x version? is the malware definition still constantly being updated on 2.2 or have they moved everything to 3.0x? need to know good their malware detection compared to 3.0x

cheers
I'm still using 2.2x (and still getting updates) after trying 3.x TWICE and both times were a disaster. Just not up for "fool me three times" yet...

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
2.0 would work good with some good security suite. 2.0 is still getting the updates(definition) but it keeps nagging the user to upgrade.
You need to reinstall MBAM v2.x

When you reinstall do NOT connect to internet. Go to ==> Update Settings ==> Uncheck 'Check for program updates when checking database updates'

No more upgrade nag after you perform manual definition update:)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

cheers
I'm still using MBAM 2.x on my 2 tablets. Working fine and definition updates fine too

Last edited:

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Nevertheless Malwarebytes does easily block the latest available Ransomware attacks completely. Henceforth I do recommend Using of an Antivirus Software with Anti Malware Software like Malwarebytes.
Not according to the video you shared. This is not at all encouraging... and these are "old" ransomware variants. FWIW, using an AV alongside MBAM would not have protected the system against these ransomware samples.

It seems that MBAM is a placebo, without a "placebo effect". I'll accept the video author's advice to "save your money... it doesn't perform".

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
It may be worth having Malwarebytes 2.xx as on-demand scanner; MBAM's realtime protection is poor, compared to other security products. If I recall correctly, MBAM made its name back some years ago, when it was good at removing persistent malware such as persistent adware/spywares from infected PCs. Then, Malwarebytes started to add new features to its product, but the results so far have been disappointing.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
If there was ever a disheartening word about MBAM, this is it...
Win32 / Neshta

Note the response comment by a MB "Expert". And then there is this...
2017-10-19_22h50_19.png

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I would say probably so, but pair it with a good AV for antivirus signature detection.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
I agree. Malwarebytes is great at detecting zero hour malware but it is not a complete security software to be relied upon. It should be installed with a good av or is.

D

Deleted member 65228

I like Malwarebytes, but I don't use them myself for protection. I especially like their anti-exploit protection but when it comes to real-time/on-demand scanning I have a preference to other vendors. :)

There's no harm in using it and seeing if you like it though, but I noticed a lot stopped liking it after the v3 release. Maybe because they want to be an full AV replacement (or they now are) but people don't think they are ready/as close to other vendors out there, I am not sure.

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I don't use it anymore as a real-time protection because that would be an epic overkill with my current configuration and I have a bit different security software preference at the moment, but I use it as a second-opinion scanner. I've been very fond of them ever since they saved my PC from a nasty little rogue bugger long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.