Advice Request Is Malwarebytes sufficient protection on Windows 7 ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is Malwarebytes enough to protect a Windows 7 PC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Same advice would apply to Malwarebytes as does to Windows Defender. If you practice safe browsing habits, aren't click-happy and don't download a lot of software then MB should be sufficient. Saying that, I personally wouldn't use it for anything other than scanning for PUPs.

Last edited:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I would never considered MBAM sufficient. Its detection rate is far lower than the industry average, and what is worse, MBAM realtime protection is really poor. Due to its poor realtime protection, I wouldn't consider MB for the first line of defence on my computer. I could consider MBAM to run along with the main antivirus, but the truth is that many users have found MBAM very heavy in terms of system resource usage since version 3 was released, so I suggest you to try it in your system before making your decision.

onreact

Level 1
Verified
May 3, 2017
I can't tell you what the exact difference between Windows 7 and 10 will be in this case but I'd suggest to run both AV tools at the same time.

I use both Windows Defender and MalwareBytes Antimalware and it's also not an uncommon practice as this thread shows:
Is it okay to run Windows Defender and another antivirus program at the same time?

Also Windows Defender has a pretty good reputation by now, some even argue it's better than third party AV software in general:
Google Chrome Engineer Says Windows Defender 'the Only Well Behaved Antivirus', Cites 'Tons of Empirical Data' - Slashdot

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Last version of Malwarebytes 3 doesnt disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 (it was a bug).

IMO Malwarebytes 3 + Windows Defender is a very nice setup that complement each other well, but ofcourse there are faster, cheaper and stronger alternatives out there.

In Windows 7 the security isnt on par of Windows 10, so I recommend to use something else like Kaspersky Internet Security, but on Windows 10 WD + MBAM 3 is enough.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I'm not a user of MBAM anymore, but I still can suggest that you might need a good third party Antivirus/Antimalware solution apart from MBAM. With too many complaints, computer users are starting to ditch this software and switching to a better alternatives like Zemana, HitmanPro etc. I would recommend you to try Emsisoft or ESET or Kaspersky as a realtime protection module and then add a on demand solutions like Zemana.
Note: Zemana also comes with realtime cloud assisted antimalware solution which is great.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
In W7 i would suggest other solutions than MBAM.
You can install Avast, CIS, 360 TS etc.
Good paid products Kaspersky, Emsisoft.Eset etc.
If you want to use Windows Defender in W7 you should install Microsoft Security Essentials.
MSE it's a more complete security solution than WD.

Daniel G

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 21, 2016
Wow!
Wasn't expecting such a diverse opinion on MB which i always thought of as the goto app.
Times have changed.
It's not that hard on resources on Windows7 - a little less than Firefox.
Suppose, having it run with MSE would be a good starting point (plus common sense of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.