Advice Request Is Mega.nz Cloud Safe ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Hello, everyone ! I just signed up a Mega account and I read some of the reviews on quora and they are saying that MEGA isn't safe anymore. What do you think, guys ? :)

I use Mega regularly and while I do not trust their security too much I still view them as a provider worth considering primarily due to the 50 GB free space on offer. Suggest you encrypt your data and then backup to Mega. I use Duplicati for this purpose.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

The only point of using mega.nz is that they're not too regarding on copyright. And that's a plus even if you use 100% legal data. For example, I've read some cloud service scans your library for copyrighted content. That might be a problem if you have a collection of MP3 that you ripped from your owned CDs or converter from your iTunes purchases, for example.

It's also a good for less important stuff. But otherwise i wouldn't trust them with my real personal files, as this provider is often associated with pirated content.

And if you're going to go thru the hassle of encrypting your files, why not encrypting your files on safer cloud service ? Then you'd have more security :cool:

Klhoe-21

Mar 26, 2019
Hello, everyone ! I just signed up a Mega account and I read some of the reviews on quora and they are saying that MEGA isn't safe anymore. What do you think, guys ? :)
Last time I tried Mega's "app" it also installed 5 shortcuts which all lead to a Maleware choked page that ALSO allowed remote desktop control ( I was using a PoS system (Piece of Sh1te) that I was gonna convert Windows to Qubes OS).
They tried to syskey the system, but when I saw what they were pulling up, I pulled the power cord (LOLz).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Last time I tried Mega's "app" it also installed 5 shortcuts which all lead to a Maleware choked page that ALSO allowed remote desktop control ( I was using a PoS system (Piece of Sh1te) that I was gonna convert Windows to Qubes OS).
They tried to syskey the system, but when I saw what they were pulling up, I pulled the power cord (LOLz).
Which "Mega App"? Did you download for PC, Mac, Android or iOS? Where did you download from; the official channels, a mirror host or elsewhere? Does your PC (Windows or Mac) have an Antivirus installed, that could have detected the threat before it was downloaded from the Internet?

Last edited:

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
This is strange. I use mega myself(the windows app) and only have 1 shortcut from the app. Do you used the official download link? Seems like a fake version or something.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
iCloud for all my photos and phone backups, it used to be Sync.com for everything else but it has no Linux app so I recently started using MEGA. Everything I have in MEGA is in VeraCrypt files so I don't care about the strength of their security but I want that 50GB :p

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I want that 50GB
Isn't that for a limited time? I had 50 gb storage but now it's 15gb again. If you can fill the 50gb space before expiring then your data will still be on their cloud though. But you won't be able to add new files. Isn't that how it works?

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Isn't that for a limited time? I had 50 gb storage but now it's 15gb again. If you can fill the 50gb space before expiring then your data will still be on their cloud though. But you won't be able to add new files. Isn't that how it works?
I have nearly 100GB right now, in around 6 months that will drop to 50GB I believe.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.