Is my BIOS clean, Advanced Persistent Threat?

Cain

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
A little over a year ago, I found that my computers had been infected with an advanced type of malware that seemed to be able to jump from PC to PC simply by sitting next to each other. I realize how this sounds and have read many threads across various forums where people have been called all sorts of names and shamed for even raising such matters. Being regarded as paranoid and crazy is the main reason I have so far battled this on my own. I could write a whole lot on what I've documented as supporting evidence with my experience so far, and can provide some interesting reading for those who are unfamiliar with advanced persistent threats, and proof of concepts of how amazingly possible some malware can be transported, where it can reside, and what it is capable of.

After exhausting dozens of security tools, trying to identify and possibly remove the bug, I have so far been unsuccessful in identifying it and unsure of whether I have removed it. I am uncertain if this is something that drills down to firmware level (as unlikely as it may be. It seemed to have transferred via use of hardware in a machine from an infected machine), BIOS level, or MBR level (working much like BIOS infection, a small amount of space is lost as it sections off part of the drive and becomes inaccessible to anything else). After researching and working tirelessly for many months, a new router, many PC's and 2 Mac's later, I pretty much gave up short of a breakdown and physical exhaustion. I pretty much accepted the idea that I am going to have to get used to living with it.

A few months back I found out I had been the victim of identity theft, and about 20 thousand dollars had been issued as credit under my name. This is still under investigation by Interpol as it crosses national boarders, and is unlikely to be solved. There is no other way for the relevant personal information to have been compromised other than being extracted from my secure (so I thought), saved data.
The infection can remain dormant and a machine can appear totally clean for varying periods of time after a fresh install with low level format and cleared CMOS. I am unsure of what triggers it. However, when a PC starts to show signs of infection and virus removal methods are introduced, it seems almost provoked to act responsively by producing blue screens, freezing and locking down the system through policy changes and access control settings. The signs that the infection is present vary between machine and particular build/instal/config. The main indicators are the excessive network activity, continuous ARP requests and logs showing connections between nodes on the network, PC RAM and CPU utilization and overall lag in the system, all consistent with Botnet activity. Then there are all the random issues such as encrypted files, alternative data streams being created, browser problems like pages failing to load and timing out, loosing functionality such as paste function freezing. I have had one PC which 'ate itself alive' (as a good description). After clean install it began filling itself by installing random drivers, it continued until it filled a 40GB hard drive. I watched it in amazement. I have a lot of what has happened recorded on video, simply to prove my story.

For all those who's response is "sure its possible, but highly unlikely to happen to a home user". Yes, I know this... but I work within an IT department at a university, where these types of attacks are most often directed and I have likely transferred it from there. I also have a suspicion that I may have been the intentional recipient of this attack by a colleague I have a grievance with who works in the 'Desktop Security' team for the university and has access to some of the most widely unavailable, unknown malicious code that the university has been the target recipient of. So it is very possible for me to have come in contact with the unlikely.

I do not write all this to receive criticisms and for the non-believers to spray their negative opinions and thoughts at me. To them, my response is "do some research on Advanced persistent Threat Malware". To the Apple worshipers and those who preach the use of alternative platforms such as Unix based/Linux solutions, "you have no idea, research platform independent malware". I do encourage others who have similar experiences to make it known, there is a reason these sophisticated threats are highly neglected and people should know of their existence and the serious reality of them.

I write this merely to explain myself and provide the background on my situation while I ask for support/advice from those more knowledgeable than myself and so they can take into consideration there could be more to scan results that may show nothing further to investigate.

In specific, I have done a clean install on a Toshiba Satellite and this is the focus of my request. After clearing CMOS and a low level format of the HDD, I purposely installed a 32bit version of Windows 7 (as many tools will not run on 64bit), all updates have been completed and only Office 2010 along with a few other applications such as 7zip, Defraggler and a few choice security tools installed which are... NoVirusThanks' EXE Radar, PE Dropper Monitor and File Extension Monitor, Zemana's AntiLogger, and Comodo Internet Security. After the install I have shared no files that have in any way come from/been in contact with any other machines on my network. The laptop has had a wireless only connection to the router where I have set a rule for wireless devices to be isolated, so there should be no communication between wired and wireless devices.

If anybody has made it this far through my post, I am requesting assistance/advice to thoroughly asses the PC in order to determine whether there is any sign indicating that this machine is anything other than clean.

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S0].txt
    918 bytes · Views: 93
  • Addition.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 90
  • aswMBR.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 73
  • FRST.txt
    171.4 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: Gnosis

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
You say you have a lot of what happened captured on video, I am very interested and curious in seeing this take place.

Could you perhaps upload these said captures for viewing?

Reactions: Gnosis

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hi,

Please download GMER, AntiRootkit tool from the link below and save it to your Desktop:

Gmer download link
Note: file will be random named

Double-clicking to run GMER.
  • Wait for initial scan to finish - if there is any query, click No;
  • Click Scan button and wait until the full scan is complete;
  • Click Save ... - save the report to the Desktop (named Gmer );

> Attach here Gmer logreports.

Cain

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
Hey guys,
Happy new year!! ...Sorry for the delay, I have had a bit of a time away.

TwinHeadedEagle, thank you for taking the time look into this with me, I appreciate your time. I have attached the Gmer.txt file as requested for your analysis.

A bit further on my situation... I have purchased my hardware for a new machine, and after a fair bit of asking questions and looking around online, I have finally gotten a TPM to plugin onto my new motherboard. According to Gigabyte, they never produced TPM's for use on their motherboards with their highly promoted TPM connection feature (even though I obtained the part number and found various places that still have them in supply in parts of Europe). Which seemed very odd. Asus stopped producing them and many TPM's available on the market are made using the Sinosun or Winbond chips (the only other two manufactures) which are useless as they don't measure root of trust for early boot devices. Also, TPM's were never released for consumer purchase in Australia and were strangly pulled from the shelves in many other parts of the world.. and after contacting Infinion (TPM manufacturer), they wont ship them out unless I'm able to order quantities in the thousands. For anybody who knows what TPM technology does, the whole thing raises so many questions. Some say the AV companies have something to do with it, as they stand to loose billions if the technology were better implemented. Others pose theories that involve our mates at the NSA not wanting end users having enterprise ability to evade sophisticated malware at hardware level. After the likes of Stuxnet, I have to say the theories seem plausible ...Anyway, I managed to get one shipped from the U.K, so now I have all the bits but have so far hesitated to connect it to my network until I'm confident that I'm not going to destroy it as soon as I do.

@MrXidus, I am definitely happy to show what I have. I will have to convert the recordings and upload them, for anybody else who is interested as well. I will notify once its done.

Attachments

• Gmer.txt
    152.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Cain

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
PC is clean, no malware...

Excellent! I have no better word to go on, and will continue from here to work from this perspective. So I now have a benchmark of which I can begin complete rebuild of the network.

Thank you for your assistance TwinHeadedEagle.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Please download DelFix by "Xplode" to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
  • Remove disinfection tools
  • Create registry backup
  • Purge System Restore

Now click on "Run" button. Wait for the programme completes his work.
All the tools we used should be gone.
Tool will create and open an log report (DelFix.txt)
Note: The report will also be stored on C:\DelFix.txt

> I don't need DelFix log report.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.