Troubleshoot Is my current VM secure? (SOLVED)

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Any chance I'll get infected if I test malware on my VM?
Config :
Boots from an ISO. Windows XP SP3 x32. Unpatched.
Sharing Clipboard Disabled.
Drag n' Drop Disabled.
Enable VT-x/AMD-x : Enabled.
Enable Nested Paging : Enabled.
Network Attached to NAT.
Cable Connected (ticked)
Promiscuous Mode : Disabled
Shared Folders :
"Machine Folders"
"Transient folders"

OP's Edit : Marked as solved.

Last edited:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
You may get infected if the malware happens to be targeting a vulnerability in your VM. Possible but highly unlikely.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

It is through direct relationships between the client and the host machine that may exist a chance of getting infected. This happens if you allow the client and the host to "Share Folders".

Hypothetically, breaking out of the virtualized environment IS possible, although extremely unlikely.

Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
It is through direct relationships between the client and the host machine that may exist a chance of getting infected. This happens if you allow the client and the host to "Share Folders".

Hypothetically, breaking out of the virtualized environment IS possible, although extremely unlikely.
That's the defailt config. I didn't change anything. I think those "shared" folders are required by Virtualbox.

Upvote 0

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I personally find those folders not an issue. Yes, a malware can save itself there, but it won't be able to run on your actual machine without escaping the VM, or unless you click on the malware file yourself in the actual machine.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I personally find those folders not an issue. Yes, a malware can save itself there, but it won't be able to run on your actual machine without escaping the VM, or unless you click on the malware file yourself in the actual machine.

Exactly why i stated above "may exist a chance", the OP asked, so i replied :)

Upvote 0

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Click on your VM, click on settings, and you'll see a "Shared Folders" category. There are two "shared" folders, or were they paths?
Nvm. I'll just give the screenshot.
image.png

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Ok, we have narrowed down the difference for those reading, i am running Virtualbox on Linux, and the OP is using windows.

Upvote 0

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012
Yes, there is always a chance that there is a break out but finding one would be like a million in one. I would probably not worry about it. Make sure you have set your network to NAT and not have an escape point via shared folders.

Upvote 0

NullPointerException

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Yes, there is always a chance that there is a break out but finding one would be like a million in one. I would probably not worry about it. Make sure you have set your network to NAT and not have an escape point via shared folders.
I understand the exploits behind the VM ; since no software is perfect. But it's 99.9% safe, so I shouldn't worry. :)

Reactions: KelvinW4
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.