Advice Request Is Opera safe browser for banking transactions?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Mariihh

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
Hello everyone, as I chose through you Norton to protect my system, now that I know if it is trustworthy to use Opera for banking transactions, it is the browser that best suits my system, much faster compared to others and no crashes, but I want to know if it's safe and whether with Norton's to use it, thanks.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hello everyone, as I chose through you Norton to protect my system, now that I know if it is trustworthy to use Opera for banking transactions, it is the browser that best suits my system, much faster compared to others and no crashes, but I want to know if it's safe and whether with Norton's to use it, thanks.
I haven't heard or seen what I can recall, that there would be any specific issues with Opera and bank transactions. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong. One pretty essential and important tip/hint IMO is to use a dedicated machine if possible for all banking as it's simply common sense to separate your bank from your other online stuff like social media, mails etc.

Norton I believe others here on MT can advice or give tips about much better then me.

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
If you're asking if the Opera browser in itself can be trusted, then the answer is Yes as far as I am concerned. The Opera browser is well-known and extensively used, and relies on the Chromium engine.

However, if your system is compromised by banking malware - note that Norton is not full-proof like all AVs - which can work under your conditions (e.g. the service you're using, how you're performing the transaction, etc.) then you can be affected. Remember though, a malicious extension can steal data as well (e.g. login credentials) or force-data (e.g. switch Bitcoin addresses or PayPal e-mail addresses and so forth).

I recommend you use a dedicated machine if you feel you need to as @upnorth has mentioned for you. If you do not have a dedicated machine for it and feel you really need an extra layer, consider a sandbox for the browser (e.g. Sandboxie) or a Virtual Machine (which you can use for the banking transaction prior to wiping with a snapshot).

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Of course it is. The built-in web filter is (supposedly) a little weaker than Chrome, but as long as you access your banking site from the same link (from bookmarks or speed dial) you'll be fine (avoid email links).
Accessing web banking on a dedicated machine may seem like a cliché, but as @upnorth said it's always safer if you adopt this procedure.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
And i like Opera.Is realy fast with many options. But for banking i use chrome. Opera is not secure like chrome.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Theres millions of people that do only banking on their pcs, all they can do is open browser, search bank site and put their details in to do transfer/payment and close browser

Everything else is behind learning curve. I know plenty of people that dont know how to shut down windows , but theyre professionals in work they do... just older people that havent cared about technology that much

Youre safe with any browser you use, and if you woudlve ever been that badly infected you wouldnt even have access to browser anymore, too much paranoia

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Of course it is. The built-in web filter is (supposedly) a little weaker than Chrome, but as long as you access your banking site from the same link (from bookmarks or speed dial) you'll be fine (avoid email links).
Accessing web banking on a dedicated machine may seem like a cliché, but as @upnorth said it's always safer if you adopt this procedure.
If i remember correctly from @Moonhorse config. Adding the Netcraft extension beefs up the webprotection.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If i remember correctly from @Moonhorse config. Adding the Netcraft extension beefs up the webprotection.
Probably you have to do research to find those sketchy phishing sites, but netcraft will do well against very fresh links. Antivirus usually will block sites contain malware and adblock blocking out sketchy clickbaits

So harderning opera with browser extensions isnt bad idea + adding banking sites to bookmarks will do the job

Common sense to check domain, before typing anything ID

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Probably you have to do research to find those sketchy phishing sites, but netcraft will do well against very fresh links. Antivirus usually will block sites contain malware and adblock blocking out sketchy clickbaits

So harderning opera with browser extensions isnt bad idea + adding banking sites to bookmarks will do the job

Common sense to check domain, before typing anything ID
I agree with you for harderning opera. But most people use only one add block and some other persons nothing. How many persons you think know about netcraft extension. For this i prefer chrome. Because alone without extensions is safe enough.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I agree with you for harderning opera. But most people use only one add block and some other persons nothing. How many persons you think know about netcraft extension. For this i prefer chrome. Because alone without extensions is safe enough.
i just went to twitch.tv, popular game and first viewbotted stream from there containing phishing link and opera lets me in.

I think thats huge security issue
Today i was testing some links and found netcraft to only block them , also avg is doing well even people says its weak against phishing

Bookmarks + password manager is 100% protection against phishing tho, you will never type passwords

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
i just went to twitch.tv, popular game and first viewbotted stream from there containing phishing link and opera lets me in.

I think thats huge security issue
Today i was testing some links and found netcraft to only block them , also avg is doing well even people says its weak against phishing

Bookmarks + password manager is 100% protection against phishing tho, you will never type passwords
I know this. I don't speak about me. But about persons without any experience. Personally i use 360TS.It have one option for safe shopping and is very good and for safe banking. And extra i use netcraft and malwarebytes extension. And about AVG for me is very good product. I installed it on the computer of my daughter for a year. Have the same protection with Avast ( Avast is better with hardener mode) and more easy for persons without experience because Avg have not many options and with default settings is very good

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I know this. I don't speak about me. But about persons without any experience. Personally i use 360TS.It have one option for safe shopping and is very good and for safe banking. And extra i use netcraft and malwarebytes extension. And about AVG for me is very good product. I installed it on the computer of my daughter for a year. Have the same protection with Avast ( Avast is better with hardener mode) and more easy for persons without experience because Avg have not many options and with default settings is very good
Agree, i know what you did mean. Its very easy to get phished for being user without extensions/knowledge about whats happening

Avg seems to be great;
- no bloatware
- no nag screens

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@stefanos Done, thanks. I meant AVG doesnt have any pop-ups like avast do so the gui doesnt bother that much. But maybe if it sends somekind of telemetry its fine to be blocked..
avgui.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.